Question

FME Engine in a docker container?

• 29 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

I’m looking at upgrading our internal automated testing of our FME tools/workspace.

At the moment the way I’m doing it is with custom docker images of FME Desktop/Form and running the tests inside these. This works OK, I’m able to automate the licensing and do what I need to do. But obviously with FME Form comes a lot of uneeded GUI stuff. Plus it just feels clunky and I always need to create a new docker file anytime a new version of FME comes out which I want to test against. (we build our tools in older versions of FME to try and support more customers on various FME versions) 

I know that there are docker-compose files for FME Flow which work well, however, I don’t really need the whole stack, just the Engine with which I can feed my tests. Also the way that I’m working makes using docker-compose difficult/annoying.

In light of that does anyone know if there is a way to just use the FME Engine image on it’s own. This would really save my bacon and make may testing pipeline much more straight forward. It also feels like the right way to do this.

2 replies

Badge +10

Hi @virtualcitymatt,

That’s a great question unfortunately both Form and Flow engines are reliant on external process(workbench, flow) for licensing, database and web connections, proxies, package installers, ect. Its really the connections and licensing that prevents a stand alone engine from being feasible. Feel free to message me if you want to discuss the pain points in your workflow, but the short answers is, its not supported.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Hi @virtualcitymatt,

That’s a great question unfortunately both Form and Flow engines are reliant on external process(workbench, flow) for licensing, database and web connections, proxies, package installers, ect. Its really the connections and licensing that prevents a stand alone engine from being feasible. Feel free to message me if you want to discuss the pain points in your workflow, but the short answers is, its not supported.  

Thanks for the feedback Richard. I guess I’ll stick with what I’ve got then. It does work I suppose, it just feels very hacky. I’ll send you a message with more details about my pain points.