Skip to main content
Solved

Does anybody have any documentation on best practices for repository naming and permissions?

• 15 September 2016
  • 1 reply

Hi,

As of late I've noticed that we've got a lot of sprawl with the names of our repositories. Does anybody have any best practices/recommendations on how their organization creates repositories/topics/notifications and assigns permissions?

One thought I had was to create a repository per application and also per department/organizational group as needed. But I'm wondering if anybody else has any other ideas/thoughts on the matter. In addition, my thoughts really only apply to repositories and don't take into account permissions/topics/notifications.

If it matters, my FME Server install only runs on my intranet. I don't need to expose it to the public.

Thanks!

-Jeff

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +35

Overall the "rules" that you would apply to naming directories on a local filesystem can be applied to repositories in FME Server. Per application/project and per department is probably the best way to go. I would recommend trying to settle on a standard naming scheme that matches your network file/directory naming conventions to avoid that sprawl and carry that naming scheme on to the workspaces in the repositories and the notifications/topics as well.