Skip to main content
Hi all,

I have a bunch of lines, intersecting, ... and I want to create areas for those regions that are "closed". (I placed the word closed between brackets, as you can see that the area is closed, because it is created by intersecting lines, but the area is not bounded by closed polygons, just by lines)

I wanted to use the Areabuilder (btw, the situation looks exactly the same as in the "help" of the Areabuilder), only thing is that my lines are not topologically connected, but just random lines that are intersecting.

little additional problem is that my data is 3D (with Z-component)...

I already managed to split the lines on the intersection points (with the intersector, after coordinate swapping, to let the intersector work on 3D data) but I still don't manage to create the areas.

I have this feeling that I first need to create a closed polyline or so? no idea how!

hopefully someone can help me out!

with kind regards,

Ine De Cubber

Hoi Ine,

I think you are almost there, try to join (group by in the line joiner)  the intersecting lines into one closed line feature and then creating the areas.

Hope this helps

Hi Ine,

> the situation looks exactly the same as in the "help" of the Areabuilder

In your situation, are the lines really intersecting (includes touching) each other?

When there is a small space between the node of a line and another line at the place looking like 'intersecting', Intersector does not recognize it as an intersection.

At first, check whether Intersector generates expected result. If Intersector doesn't create expected intersections, then we have to think about how to make the lines intersect each other. 

Takashhi
Thanks for the answers :)

after three days, I found out that the areabuilder can't work with vertical data... the same as the intersector. swapping coordinates before and after my areabuilder (working with X,Y) solved my problem!