Solved

Forward slash breaks SQL insert with SQLExecutor in stored procedure

• 20 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

Hello! 

I currently have a stored procedure in MSSQL that takes in some parameters and inserts into or updates a SQL view. I’m using a SQLExecutor transformer to run that stored procedure, passing in the feature attributes from FME as parameters for the procedure. The code in the transformer looks something like this:

EXECUTE [schema_name].[procedure_name]
   @id = '@Value(id)'
  , @name = '@Value(name)'
  , @description = '@Value(description)'

And the stored procedure looks like this:

ALTER PROCEDURE [schema_name].[procedure_name]
@id nvarchar(100),
@name nvarchar(250),
@description nvarchar(250)
AS
BEGIN
IF ((select count(*) from [schema_name].[view_name] where id=@id) =1)
BEGIN
UPDATE [schema_name].[view_name]
SET
name = @name,
description = @description
WHERE id = @id
END
ELSE
BEGIN
INSERT INTO [schema_name].[view_name]
VALUES (@id, @name, @description)
END

Generally this works, but some of my attribute values (eg name and description) are long blocks of text with various special characters. The first issue was apostrophes (‘) but I bypassed this issue by running a StringReplacer and replacing all instances of a single quote with two single quotes (‘’). The issue I can’t seem to fix is forward slashes (/). It breaks the process and tells me that the string gets broken at the point of the first forward slash. If the data was something like this:

'Replaced on 7/20/23'

the error would be something like this:

, @description = 'Replaced on 7'. Provider error `(-2147217900) Unclosed quotation mark after the character string 'Replaced on 7'.'

I tried replacing all instances of the forward slash with a backslash in front of it (\/) to try to escape the character, but it didn’t work. When I replaced the forward slash with something else entirely, the process ran smoothly.

I thought this might be an error on the SQL side, but when I insert some random data with forward slashes using the stored procedure within SQL, I have no issues, it’s just when I try to run it from FME like this that it breaks. Any suggestions? I am still using FME Workbench 2022.1.

icon

Best answer by david_r 22 April 2024, 09:39

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4

This is a major reason why I’ve been championing for bind variable support for several years now :-)

In the meantime, you should consider using the “UPSERT” mode of the SQL Server writer rather than using the stored procedure. It’d look something like this:

Badge +3

@david_r Thanks so much for the fast response! This is what I had tried when I was originally starting this process, but I was getting a bug telling me the table didn’t exist. I’m writing to a view, so I figured the writer simply didn’t work for views, only tables, and pivoted to this stored procedure. Messed around with it a little bit today and got it working! This solves the problem for now, but hopefully in the future if we need to pivot back to a stored procedure the bind variable support is added!