Skip to main content

Question of the Week: What have you been reading lately that's inspired you?

• 9 September 2024
  • 6 replies

Hi FME Community, 

Here’s our Question of the Week: What have you been reading lately that’s inspired you? FME-related or not, we’d love to hear about it! 

New to the Question of the Week? 

Every week, we’ll post a simple but thought-provoking question that could be about your FME journey, the power of spatial data, FME innovation, or the future of FME.

Each weekly question you answer earns you an entry in our monthly draw for exclusive Safe swag and points toward badges! Answer our September Questions of the Week by Monday, September 30 at 5:00 pm PDT to be entered in this month’s draw.

Answer your first question and you’ll get the Socializer (Ice Breaker) badge. Answer five questions and you’ll get the Socializer (Talker) badge.

I found an article about automating deployment of fme flow scripts together with pipelines in Azure DevOps which was inspiring.  

Recently I read The Ministry for the Future by Kim Stanley Robinson, a novel about the problems we currently face with climate change and possible solutions for those problems. I found the book very disturbing and very inspiring at the same time. I wholeheartedly recommend this book.

Recently I read The Ministry for the Future by Kim Stanley Robinson, a novel about the problems we currently face with climate change and possible solutions for those problems. I found the book very disturbing and very inspiring at the same time. I wholeheartedly recommend this book.

Oooh, I've read a lot of Kim Stanley Robinson's work, but not this one yet. Will have to add that to my wishlist 😀 Thanks for the recommendation!

I've just finished a couple of Bill Bryson's books

• The Body, A Guide For Occupants
  • At Home, A Short History Of Private Life
  • The Road To Little Dribbling: More Notes From A Small Island

Informative and funny, I like his style. Not sure if I feel particulary inspired by them though.

Not sure I should be taking inspiration from the latest book I’m reading!

Humble Pi: A Comedy of Maths Errors

Not sure I should be taking inspiration from the latest book I’m reading!

Humble Pi: A Comedy of Maths Errors

Good one, I have that too!

One book on my recent list is “Man-Made: How the bias of the past is being built into the future” by Tracey Spicer, an Australian journalist. It looks into the issue that our AI is trained on historical information mostly generated by white males and how this can lead to biases in technology. An example she gives is of automatic soap dispenser in a Marriot hotel that only activated for white hands.

For relaxation though I am re-reading “The wee free men” by Terry Pratchett, which is about a young witch, who in one scene uses her little brother as bait to trap a river monster.