Question

Data Streaming/Download Help

• 24 July 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +7

Hi,

I am new to using data download or streaming in FME Server, I have only used job submitter up until now.

I am wanting a very basic workspace to generate a CSV which is then returned to the user via the web browser, once they run a fme workbench via FME Server directly (Server App).

Does anyone know which method would be best to return just the CSV file, on demand, direct to the users web browser for download? I am looking through the help files for examples on best practice, but its all a bit confusing.

I have currently got a workbench published to server, and its using data download as its registered service, but it keeps downloading a zip file with a half dozen sub folders within, then my CSV file with its associated data. I am presuming I have over complicated things.

In essence, I am hoping to get the results of this workbench to the user via a CSV which they can download to their PC:

Can anyone point me to any guides or tutorials on how to do this in the most simple and straightforward method?

Thank you

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +28

Data streaming will send the result back to the client (e.g., browser), and for the CSV Writer it will typically just automatically download it (at least chrome does).

For some writers you can set also the mime time. The mime type will dictate how the browser handles the response. You can see this for example in the Text File writer.

the DataDownload will always create a zip file which is good and bad. The name of the zip is not configurable which sucks but you can change the path within the zip.