Solved

Parsing floating license logs

• 17 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +26

I'm looking at some floating license logs for FME, hoping to build a reporting tool for it. What I've noticed is several cases where one user/machine checks out a number of licences in a short amount of time and check them back in after a while:

imageI assume this is either the user starting multiple instances of one of the FME application on the same machine (or Workbench and Data Inspector) and/or using a WorkspaceRunner. Can anybody confirm that? And more importantly, does every checkout correspond to a checkin? I also assume that as long as there is at least one checkout active for a user/machine that counts as a concurrent license being used, correct?

icon

Best answer by nampreetatsafe 24 January 2024, 03:41

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Hi @Hans van der Maarel​: Sharing some information I gathered from our team here:

Some of the floating license features are checked out for the duration of an FME Session, such as the "FME" feature and the (now legacy) license level feature, e.g. "smallworld". Many of the floating license features are just briefly tested for existence, so they are checked out and then immediately checked in again, and do not persist in the checked-out state for the duration of the process. When multiple FME processes are running (e.g. fmeworkbench.exe or fme.exe or fmeworker.exe) the floating license system knows that a particular user and machine already has a license, so that multiple licenses will not consumed from the license server by the same user on the same machine. Not sure if this is exactly addressing your question, but this page provides detailed background on what the IN and OUT log file entries mean: https://answers.flexsim.com/answers/37779/view.html

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +26

Hi @Hans van der Maarel​: Sharing some information I gathered from our team here:

Some of the floating license features are checked out for the duration of an FME Session, such as the "FME" feature and the (now legacy) license level feature, e.g. "smallworld". Many of the floating license features are just briefly tested for existence, so they are checked out and then immediately checked in again, and do not persist in the checked-out state for the duration of the process. When multiple FME processes are running (e.g. fmeworkbench.exe or fme.exe or fmeworker.exe) the floating license system knows that a particular user and machine already has a license, so that multiple licenses will not consumed from the license server by the same user on the same machine. Not sure if this is exactly addressing your question, but this page provides detailed background on what the IN and OUT log file entries mean: https://answers.flexsim.com/answers/37779/view.html

I hope this helps.

Thanks @nampreetatsafe​ , I think this will certainly help me further!