Skip to main content

I've had to point a FME Server workspace at a different network share output directory and it is not failing with the following error message:

Destination Feature Type Routing Correlator(RoutingFactory): Could not create output folder `<my_directory_path>' for use by ESRISHAPE writer

This FMW merely reads a number of ESRI ArcSDE feature classes and writes them out to SHP. So about as simple as it gets. What is the Routing Correlator/Routing Factory?

The workbench runs fine when run from my local machine. I've tested that the service account used for running FME Server has WRITE permission on the target directory.

Any suggestions other than rebuild it and try fresh? Thanks.

Hi @agelfert,

This is an interesting one, usually, the actual path will be specified instead of '<my_directory_path>', are you using a parameter to specify the output folder? Does it work if you specify a path instead of using a parameter?

Looking at the FME Server Troubleshooting guide, two things that come to mind are that there could potentially be a mismatch between the version of FME Workbench and Server or something is going wrong with the parameter.

Hi @agelfert,

This is an interesting one, usually, the actual path will be specified instead of '<my_directory_path>', are you using a parameter to specify the output folder? Does it work if you specify a path instead of using a parameter?

Looking at the FME Server Troubleshooting guide, two things that come to mind are that there could potentially be a mismatch between the version of FME Workbench and Server or something is going wrong with the parameter.

Chris, thanks for the reply, and my apologies for confusing you... by `<my_directory_path>' I was simply hiding my true file path, which I didn't want to share. So on my end, I actually have this populated with a path to a directory on a server. What I have learned since looking into this (I recently inherited this process) is that this is located on a Citrix server. So I've tried various permutations of using server names, FQDN, and IP's. No luck. The workbench always fails when run on a schedule. However, it works when kicked off manually. Does that ring a bell?

Chris, thanks for the reply, and my apologies for confusing you... by `<my_directory_path>' I was simply hiding my true file path, which I didn't want to share. So on my end, I actually have this populated with a path to a directory on a server. What I have learned since looking into this (I recently inherited this process) is that this is located on a Citrix server. So I've tried various permutations of using server names, FQDN, and IP's. No luck. The workbench always fails when run on a schedule. However, it works when kicked off manually. Does that ring a bell?

Hi @agelfert,

Ahh gotcha.

I spoke to one of our Server Experts and found out that schedules do submit jobs using a slightly different request than when running then manually under other services. It might be a good idea to view the fmeserver.log and compare the two requests for submitting manual and through a schedule. In particular, the Destination Folder parameter (e.g. is one enclosed in quotes, etc.).

And just to confirm, are you using a UNC path for the destination folder?

I'm not sure if this error is Citrix related, but if it is @steveatsafe might know more information.