Skip to main content
I want to map the version last updated date from the metadata to a new field in the feature class.

When you save a feature class as an ESRI layer file it also creates an xml file in the same location.

Previously I would locate the feature class as a layer file saved in my local directory then read in the XML file using an XML reader, flatten the metadata and set the elements to match to 'metadata'

Then I can easily locate the attribute that contains the version date etc - and map this right over to a new field in a feature class.

But now where I have feature classes in SDE not saved as layer files I was wondering if there was any way of following this same process? How do I read that XML and after reading it, how would I carry out the xml flattening and elements to match when it is not using an XML reader?

Thanks
Hi,

have you seen the parameter "FEATURE_READ_MODE" of the SDE Geodatabase Reader? You can set it to METADATA (default is Feature).

Kind regards

Uta
Hi Uta,

Can you be a little more specific?

After i use a SDE geodatabase reader and set the feature read mode to metadata. How do i pull out specific metadata from that feature class?

Is there a way to get xml metadata from an enterprise SDE?