Skip to main content
Question

Read Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D Object Data from a dxf file

• 14 December 2012
  • 7 replies

Hi,

I'm having trouble to read data from a dxf file.

This file has been built with autocad map 2012.

It has one table associated to one layer feature types.

It does'nt seem to be simple xdata because I can't read it by just using an "attribute exposer".

I also tried to add my source data as "Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D Object Data" but I stil can't read it.

What do I need to do?

Thanks for your help.

Charlotte

Definately open the data with the AutoCAD Object Data Reader but ensure you click the parameters button and then experiment with the settings. Specifically the 'Object Data Reading Mode'. Group by Object data may give you what you want.... however you do it I suggest you try to View the data using this method in the Universal Viewer first to make sure that you can see the values you expect before trying to process them in Workbench.
Hello

I tried that.... (already tried last friday but re tried today), I can't see the data.

Do you have another idea?

Thanks for your help

Charlotte
HI again,

I find an Autocad routine which allows me to transform object data to xdata, so I have a temporary fix...

But I'm still unable to read Object data.... 

If someone as tips about that I would appreciate, or documentation to read...

Thanks a lot

Charlotte
I cannot force dxf to output od table.

However using autocad map 3d I can open dxf and saveas to dwg and then get the od table. It seems to be still in the dxf but not exposed in fme dxf.
Thank you for the advice, I tried with a DWG.

In the viewer I'm now able to see this attribute : autocad_map_odtable{0}.

What do i need to do to retreive the data from this table?
That looks like the Object Data might be stored in a list. Experiment with some of the 'List' Transformers, you'll see they have their own category in the Transformer Gallery. Failing that you may need to raise an official ticket with Safe Software directly to assist you. You can do that at the top of this page...
Thanks for your answer, I will look that up in a few days.