Skip to main content

Hi, i'm pretty new to FME.

I'm using:

• FME Workbench 2018 (FME(R) 2018.0.1.0 (20180518 - Build 18310 - WIN64)
  • FME Cloud
  • Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production

What I'm trying to do is this:

1. I've build a local workbench in FME. This workbench connects to an Oracle database and exports data (Oracle Spatial) to an Esri Shapefile. It works.
  2. I published the workbench to my FME Cloud server/instance.
  3. I'd like to run and schedule the workbench from FME Cloud

However the next error shows when I'm trying to run the workbench from FME Cloud:

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

Why does the connection works locally but refuses to work from FME Cloud?

Can you point me in the right direction? Thanx.

Greetings Erwin

This error indicates that the service name, used in the connection, is not an entry in the TNSNames.ORA file in the Oracle clients Network folder.

To solve the issue the file needs to contain the connection to the server/database.

That connection will be available in your local Oracle client.

Hi @erwinreijnders,

FME Cloud comes with an Oracle client. However, there is no access to the file system of the machine FME Cloud is running on. I assume that the connection works locally because you have a TNSNames.ora file set up for your local client, while there is no TNSNames.ora file on FME Cloud.

Can you try the following format to connect to the DB, leaving the username and password fields blank:

user/password@//hostname:port/service_name 

Please see this question from @olivermorris for more details: https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/72765/connect-to-oracle.html?

Let us know if this works for you!

Hi Erwin,

You can resolve the database connection throughout an command window cmd.exe.

Typ in tnsping <tnsname>.

This gives the Oracle connection like host or servername, port and servicename.

Then I would suggest if you can Ping the Oracle server from outside you're company.

Chances are that the Oracle server isn't reachable from outside you're company network.

If it does then it's possible FMEcloud also can reach it.

Charge the connectionstring from tnsname to an EZconnect string like metioned by Gerard.

Goodluck!