Skip to main content
Hello everyone!

I have an autocad file that contains anonymous blocks.

I would like to be able to read them from FME 2013, meaning see autocad_block_name. 

In autocad, by going to quickselect, I see various block's name like: *U248, etc

and I see on which layer these anonymous blocks are.

In FME, I have to use schema reader to find the same layer, but I have no informations of the anonymous block's name.

Can anyone help me? Thanks

Enable format attribute on reader autocad_block_name should be enabled. Then use attribute filter to filter out block names
Hello TBS_GIS_TEAM! Thanks for the replay.

However, autocad_block_name is already enabled in my reader, just to be sure, I put an inspector right at the output of the reader and I can't find anything starting with * or with U248 in the FME Data Inspector. 

The only thing that could be related to these blocks is the layer they are on, and I can only find that layer with the Schema Reader. But no sign of block name beginning with * or U248.
Hi,

Are there any features in the file? Or only layer definitions ?

Hi Itay, 

There are features in the file but nothing associate to the anonymous blocks nor with the layer .

The layer that is related to those anonymous blocks when I check Autocad, is only available when I use a schema reader in FME.  

I stumbled upon the same problem this week.
We are looking into the capabilities of FME to read dynamic properties within blocks and even read blocks within blocks but haven't found a solution so far. We even noticed that if you have a dynamic block FME doesn't store the original block name but the temporary block name that is generated by Autodesk Autocad when opening a dwg file with dynamic blocks.

To provide interoperability this is a nightmare 🙂

We would love to see this in future releases because it would be an addition to our BIM Use implementation (Drawing Review) in our drawing offices.