Question

Notifcation service: topics gone after the weekend

Badge
Hi all,

We had a notification service setup and running on our FME Server but over the weekend the topics all disappeared. How could this have happened, any thoughts on the matter?

Best wishes,

Annet

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hoi,

Was it the only item removed from FME server? 

Did anything happened to the server (not FME but the machine) during the weekend (update or other activity)?

Badge
Hi Itay, well, the guy who mostly maintains the FME Server is on holidays and the rest of us don't really do much with it. As far as I know we had a scheduled and automated restart this weekend. I'm not sure if it is the only thing removed but we have not encountered other problems yet. Is it logged when somebody creates or deletes topics?

Cheers, Annet
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
ah vakantie, I woulnt know (just starting to use FME server my self) but it does sound plausible that there is somewhere a log or something similar.

Maybe some more experienced server users can provide more details.

Groet,

Itay
Badge +11
 sorry,  I'm at home and don't have access to server at the moment so can't give detailed answers but the log files for topics/ notifications will probably be under the Utilities/tomcat  directory.  all " services"  on fme server are actually java web services run by tomcat ( assuming you have a default installation) and each has its own folder in the tomcat directory tree.  you'll have to dig a little deeper down ( maybe under the web-inf  folder? )  but they'll be there somewhere!
Badge
@nic_ran : I have found the logs of the notifier-subscribers ("email_###", for example), were these logs the ones you meant? Because they do not tell me what I want to know. I was wondering if I could find out how (and when) the topics were removed. An admin could accidentally have deleted them (would be weird, but.. possible) or if they just vanished (bad disk sector?) or maybe they are saved in a file on the server which got deleted (virus scanner?) or a bug? (unthinkable! ;-). 

This weekend's reboot did not remove them though. Maybe it was just a hickup. I will keep an eye out. 

Thanks, 

Best wishes, Annet