Skip to main content

I have essentially the same problem described here:

https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/30724/in-fme-server-how-to-pass-parameters-to-the-subscr.html

The solution described there about running a workspace from a parent isn't all that scalable and it seems like there must be a better way. I thought I had a solution when I added a published parameter called nm_email_to to the job. I tested a failure and success condition and they had worked, but I had manually triggered those tests. It doesn't appear that the scheduled jobs pass the email_to to the subscriber in the same way that a manual run does.

I can see the data in the scheduled job under Request Data > Notification Manager Directives in the directives parameter. It looks like this:

[{"name":"email_to","value":"email@example.com"}]

Is there any way to get this data into the subscriber such that it'll send to the email set up in the workspace?

Also, I want to do this in a consistent manner for the failure case and success case. So one parameter email address set once in a workspace that is then visible to the subscribers to use in the subsequent email. This is really important for our context because we have a highly federated environment where the customers that need the notifications may differ across workspaces, but we want to send standardized template emails.

Currently there's a subscriber for every job failure and success condition with emails placed in each and this is error prone and unnecessary overhead for managing ETLs at scale.

P.S. I'm already aware of the tutorial and setting up emailer data in a workspace, but the problem is that doesn't pass along the data in the failure case.

Okay, so I tried one last thing that finally seemed to work:

I put this in the subscriber email to text box:

`<fmeblock type="optional">{email_to}</fmeblock>

That seems to have done the trick as far as I can tell. I did have just {email_to} but it seems like it requires the template block to parse. However, I don't need the template tags in the subject box for grabbing data. Anyway, this seems like an inconsistent approach to passing data to the emailer. This use case of sending data to an emailer on both failure and success seems like it could benefit from a tutorial. It was quite the exercise trying to figure this out.

I believe I found an approach that works for my use case, per the comment above:

That seems to have done the trick as far as I can tell. I did have
just {email_to} but it seems like it requires the template block to
parse. However, I don't need the template tags in the subject box for
grabbing data. Anyway, this seems like an inconsistent approach to
passing data to the emailer. This use case of sending data to an emailer
on both failure and success seems like it could benefit from a
tutorial. It was quite the exercise trying to figure this out.

I believe I found an approach that works for my use case, per the comment above:

That seems to have done the trick as far as I can tell. I did have
just {email_to} but it seems like it requires the template block to
parse. However, I don't need the template tags in the subject box for
grabbing data. Anyway, this seems like an inconsistent approach to
passing data to the emailer. This use case of sending data to an emailer
on both failure and success seems like it could benefit from a
tutorial. It was quite the exercise trying to figure this out.
Actually this didn't work. I must have been resubmitting a manually triggered job that led me to believe I had solved this.

But alas, it appears that only manually triggered jobs pass nm_email_to to the notifier. Scheduled jobs do not seem to behave the same way.

I'm running the latest build of FME Server 2017 and using the latest build of FME Desktop 2017.

Anyone have any insights here? This seems like it should be simple, I just want to be able to read a parameter from a published parameter into an email subscriber and have that work for scheduled jobs.

Actually this didn't work. I must have been resubmitting a manually triggered job that led me to believe I had solved this.

But alas, it appears that only manually triggered jobs pass nm_email_to to the notifier. Scheduled jobs do not seem to behave the same way.

I'm running the latest build of FME Server 2017 and using the latest build of FME Desktop 2017.

Anyone have any insights here? This seems like it should be simple, I just want to be able to read a parameter from a published parameter into an email subscriber and have that work for scheduled jobs.

I have a sneaking suspicion that what you're trying to do isn't really possible.

Hi @jasonlally, this might be a good plug for FME Server Automations that are currently available for testing in the latest FME Server 2018.1 Betas. "Automations" will provide a new user interface for working with scheduling, running workspaces, and kicking off notifications.

I encourage you to download and install FME Server 2018.1 so that you can see if this might work as a solution for you when the product is released – there will also be the advantage of providing valuable input to help shape development if you feel any critical features are missing! I think that one component vital to your workflow will be the ability to pass parameters between objects (in Automations) much like FME Desktop and working with its transformers – this is currently not supported.

I also recognize that you have opened a ticket with Safe Support (excellent!) so please continue to follow up with our Team on that thread.