Skip to main content
Question

Trouble connecting to Esri ArcGIS Server Feature Service

• 31 August 2017
  • 7 replies

Hi I have workbenches saved where I connected to Esri ArcGIS Server Feature Service however now they don't work and they used to. I suspect it is a proxy issue which is stopping me connecting but this is an existing link that no longer works for me. https://maps.npdc.govt.nz/arcgis/rest/services/viewer/utilities/MapServer.

This is what I get in the log:

he 'ARCGISFEATURES' reader was destroyed successfully

'ARCGISFEATURES' reader was created successfully

Creating reader for format: Esri ArcGIS Server Feature Service

Trying to find a PYTHON plugin for reader named `ARCGISFEATURES'

Loaded Python module `arcgisonlinefeatures' from file `C:\\Program Files\\FME\\plugins/python27\\arcgisonlinefeatures\\__init__.pyc'

Python Exception <TypeError>: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'NoneType' and 'unicode'

Could not create Python Reader `ARCGISFEATURES'

A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

Failed to open the dataset 'https://maps.npdc.govt.nz/arcgis/rest/services/viewer/utilities/MapServer'

DATASET INFO:

DATASET: https://maps.npdc.govt.nz/arcgis/rest/services/viewer/utilities/MapServer

NUMBER OF PARAMETERS: 7

RETRIEVE_ALL_TABLE_NAMES = Yes

AUTH_TYPE = None

USER =

PASSWORD = ********

TOKEN =

_MERGE_SCHEMAS = YES

RETRIEVE_ALL_TABLE_NAMES = YES

The 'ARCGISFEATURES' reader was destroyed successfully

Hello @gisgeek,

Which version of FME are you currently using? Is your proxy set up correctly?

I see a previous issue that caused a custom proxy map definition set to no proxy that would cause the following error:

| Python Exception : unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'NoneType' and 'unicode' |

This has been fixed in 2017.1. If you are not using 2017.1 currently, may I ask you to try installing 2017.1 to see if that addresses the issue. The 2017.1 installer can be found here : https://www.safe.com/support/support-resources/fme-downloads/

I installed 2017.1 but it hasn't made any difference to being able to connect. I get this error:

Python Exception <ImportError>: No module named parser

Could not create Python Reader `ARCGISFEATURES'

A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

Failed to open the dataset 'https://maps.npdc.govt.nz/arcgis/rest/services/viewer/utilities/MapServer'

DATASET INFO:

DATASET: https://maps.npdc.govt.nz/arcgis/rest/services/viewer/utilities/MapServer

NUMBER OF PARAMETERS: 7

RETRIEVE_ALL_TABLE_NAMES = Yes

AUTH_TYPE = None

USER =

PASSWORD = ********

TOKEN =

_MERGE_SCHEMAS = YES

RETRIEVE_ALL_TABLE_NAMES = YES

The 'ARCGISFEATURES' reader was destroyed successfully

I think it is something to do with my proxy set up up but I don't know what. I have tried connected to wfs services and they work ok Web Feature Services are giving me grief. This is a workbench I have had running in the past but now it doesn't connect so something has changed?

Hello @gisgeek

If you follow instructions in the Top answer found here: https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/44922/getting-the-error-python-exception-no-module-named.html

In short, try deleting the following files:

fme\\python\\js2py\\translators\\pyjsparser.pyc

fme\\python\\js2py\\translators\\pyjsparserdata.pyc

fme\\python\\js2py\\translators\\std_nodes.pyc

These are the old .pyc files from the older FME installs.

This should resolve the issue. Please let me know.

Hello @gisgeek

If you follow instructions in the Top answer found here: https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/44922/getting-the-error-python-exception-no-module-named.html

These are the old .pyc files from the older FME installs.

This should resolve the issue. Please let me know.
Thanks. I tried doing this yesterday and it didn't fix the problem.I also uninstalled and reinstalled it also but this made no difference. I have installed a clean build on another machine and it works. This is good but this makes me reluctant to upgrade in future because I might get similar problems.

Thanks. I tried doing this yesterday and it didn't fix the problem.I also uninstalled and reinstalled it also but this made no difference. I have installed a clean build on another machine and it works. This is good but this makes me reluctant to upgrade in future because I might get similar problems.

hello @gisgeek

These upgrade problems are always tricky and discouraging for users when applying newer updates. One thing I would suggest which has possibly assisted in not experiencing issues when upgrading FME Desktop, is for each install, have it installed into a new directory, this will prevent any 'cross-contamination' so to speak of installs.

For example:

Upgrading from 2017.0 to 2017.1 using the following directories

C:\\Apps\\FME 2017 - 64bit - B17291

C:\\Apps\\FME 2017.1 - 64bit - B17539

Hi,

I have a model using a FeatureReader with ARCGISFEATURES type on FME Desktop Win64 2017.1.0.0 and it works well.

Then moving the model to another server with 2017.0.1.0, the Featurereader seems to work, but never read more than one Query, so only results for the first query of the WHERE was fetched.

When installing FME Desktop Win64 2017.1.2.1 I am not able to initiate the FeatureReader with

ARCGISFEATURES

at all.

2018-02-23 22:25:56| 6.1| 0.0|INFORM|Creating reader for format: Esri ArcGIS Server Feature Service

2018-02-23 22:25:56| 6.1| 0.0|INFORM|Trying to find a PYTHON plugin for reader named `ARCGISFEATURES'

2018-02-23 22:25:56| 6.1| 0.0|INFORM|Using Python interpreter from `C:\\Program Files\\FME\\fmepython27\\python27.dll' with PYTHONHOME `C:\\Program Files\\FME\\fmepython27'

2018-02-23 22:25:56| 6.1| 0.0|INFORM|Python version 2.7 loaded successfully

2018-02-23 22:25:56| 6.2| 0.1|INFORM|Loaded Python module `arcgisonlinefeatures' from file `C:\\Program Files\\FME\\plugins/python27\\arcgisonlinefeatures\\__init__.pyc'

2018-02-23 22:25:57| 6.8| 0.6|ERROR |Python Exception <ImportError>: No module named parser

2018-02-23 22:25:57| 6.8| 0.0|ERROR |Could not create Python Reader `ARCGISFEATURES'

2018-02-23 22:25:57| 6.8| 0.0|ERROR |A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

Anybody got some ideas?

Hi,

I have a model using a FeatureReader with ARCGISFEATURES type on FME Desktop Win64 2017.1.0.0 and it works well.

Then moving the model to another server with 2017.0.1.0, the Featurereader seems to work, but never read more than one Query, so only results for the first query of the WHERE was fetched.

When installing FME Desktop Win64 2017.1.2.1 I am not able to initiate the FeatureReader with

ARCGISFEATURES

at all.

2018-02-23 22:25:56| 6.1| 0.0|INFORM|Creating reader for format: Esri ArcGIS Server Feature Service

2018-02-23 22:25:56| 6.1| 0.0|INFORM|Trying to find a PYTHON plugin for reader named `ARCGISFEATURES'

2018-02-23 22:25:56| 6.1| 0.0|INFORM|Using Python interpreter from `C:\\Program Files\\FME\\fmepython27\\python27.dll' with PYTHONHOME `C:\\Program Files\\FME\\fmepython27'

2018-02-23 22:25:56| 6.1| 0.0|INFORM|Python version 2.7 loaded successfully

2018-02-23 22:25:56| 6.2| 0.1|INFORM|Loaded Python module `arcgisonlinefeatures' from file `C:\\Program Files\\FME\\plugins/python27\\arcgisonlinefeatures\\__init__.pyc'

2018-02-23 22:25:57| 6.8| 0.6|ERROR |Python Exception <ImportError>: No module named parser

2018-02-23 22:25:57| 6.8| 0.0|ERROR |Could not create Python Reader `ARCGISFEATURES'

2018-02-23 22:25:57| 6.8| 0.0|ERROR |A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

Anybody got some ideas?

Hi @aalppa

Have you tried the suggestion in the below comment?

Does that solve the issue?