Question

Can I still run a workspace in command line on a separate distributed machine when the FME Flow Core server down?

• 11 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi All,

I am new to FME Flow. We are installing FME Flow 2023.1. We are setting up a two-tier distributed FME Flow environment with a machine which hosts FME Flow Core and Web server, and two separate distributed machines where the workspaces will be executed within the same network.  

Let’s say I have an automated scheduled job which supposed to run at one of distributed machine at a certain time. For some reasons, the FME Flow Core machine is down at the time when the scheduled job supposed to run. 

1. When the FME Flow Core machine down, is the scheduled job still able to start to run at the scheduled time automatically?
  2. If not, am I able to start the job manually on the command line on the distributed machine without the FME Flow Core machine available?

Your help is great appreciated.

Thanks,

-John

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi @missp29 ,

To confirm, are the distributed machines running the FME Flow Engines services? Are there any other FME components on these distributed machines? 

If the FME Flow Core machine is down, then the scheduled job will not be able to execute. The core manages job requests, scheduling and repository contents. If it’s down, it will not be able to send the information to the distributed engine. 

If you have a fault-tolerant set up, then if one FME Flow core machine goes offline, then the Engine originally connected to it, will attempt to reconnect to that core before timing out and attempting to connect to the second online core.   

No, workspaces will not run if the core is down. Here is more information on FME Flow CLI, a command line interface that uses the FME Flow REST API . 

Here are some more resources that may be helpful:

Hope this helps! 

Kezia

Badge +1

Hi Kezia,

Thank you for your response. 

To your questions, Yes. The distributed machines are only running the FME Flow Engines services, no other FME components on these distributed machines. 

I thought if the scheduled job can not be started as scheduled automatically when the FME Flow Core machine is done, I should be able to start the job manually. Is this correct?

Thanks,

-John

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi John @missp29 ,

If the FME Flow Core machine is down, then it cannot communicate with the FME Flow Engines and therefore the job will not be able to run. You could run the workspace manually via FME Workbench as a workaround until your core machine is backup.

This documentation lists out the FME Flow components and connections. https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME-Flow/ReferenceManual/architecture.htm

Kezia