Question

Can FME flow standrad engine license work for distributed architecture?

• 14 November 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

If I install FME engine on seprate machine to connect FME flow core host (with default Flow database installed on same), does the trial FME flow standard license work on distributed architecture? Is ther any specific license required to configure distributed engine setup not the trial one?

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

There should be no extra licensing requirements. As long as you have a license with X number of engines, you can have X number of engines setup to work with the one FME Flow instance.

Something to also note, the "old" (still recommended for production envs) way was to install engines on a separate machine - ie https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME-Flow/AdminGuide/Adding_FME_Engines_on_Separate_Machine.htm

The "new" way (still in development) is the Remote Engine Service - https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME-Flow/WebUI/Remote-Engine-Services.htm

Neither of these require any different licensing and all licensing tasks are done through the main interface

Badge

@hkingsbury​ Thank you for the information.

I have trial license with 2 standard engines whereas I have made only engine on separate machine and no engine on my core host server. Enabled required port communication between engine and core host, made shared location correctly for the distributed installation, engine and core services are running on same domain account with logon as service on Windows machines, but getting "could not establish connection to the host" from engine current log. Engine is not getting activated automativcally when in the Engine page of web application server. Please advise.

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

@hkingsbury​ Thank you for the information.

I have trial license with 2 standard engines whereas I have made only engine on separate machine and no engine on my core host server. Enabled required port communication between engine and core host, made shared location correctly for the distributed installation, engine and core services are running on same domain account with logon as service on Windows machines, but getting "could not establish connection to the host" from engine current log. Engine is not getting activated automativcally when in the Engine page of web application server. Please advise.

The "unable to establish connection to host" lines suggests there are still some network blockers in place

Badge

@hkingsbury​ Please advise if there is any mechanism to check network blockers.

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

@hkingsbury​ Please advise if there is any mechanism to check network blockers.

It's probably best to reach out to your IT team/providers as network related things can be implemented at many different levels.

A tool I use frequently to test inter-machine comms is TNC in powershell(https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/nettcpip/test-netconnection?view=windowsserver2022-ps)

tnc <machinename> -port <portnumber>

Badge

@hkingsbury​ when enabled and defined valid port pool range 7100-7150 instead 0 (0 was taking random ports while registering engine to the host) for the parameter FME_SERVER_PORT_POOL in fmeServerConfig.txt file, the distributed engine got activated. Thanks.