Question

FME .BAT file works manually, but Task Scheduler Errors b/c can't see ArcGIS Pro is installed

• 22 January 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge +6

I have created an FME job and I want to run it from task scheduler. So I created the .BAT file (and .TCL file) by running the Run Batch Deploy process. Once the .BAT file is created I test it by double clicking it. The .BAT seems to start up fine (I check the log file and see it is running). So then I try and use task scheduler to run the same .bat and get an error from FME saying :

ERROR |Unable to perform any licensing related tasks. This 64-bit version of FME requires 64-bit Background Geoprocessing, ArcGIS Pro

ArcGIS Pro is installed and I am able to run the job fine if I manually click on the .BAT or if I run the FME job from the workbench.

The Task, within Task Scheduler, is set to run with a headless account (the same account I use to log into this machine). Within the task security properties I have set the job to Run whether user is logged on or not and the password is saved as a part of the task.

So, how do I get task scheduler to know that ArcGIS Pro is installed when the FME job is triggered?

I am using FME Desktop 2018.1 - 64 bit.

When I have done this in the past, I was working with 32 bit FME Desktop.

ArcGIS Pro was installed by a different account, but can be opened by this headless account.

6 replies

Badge +16

Hi @juliarozema, basically FME is doing the check so you dont need to 'let the task scheduler know' that ArcGIS is installed.

Could it be that you have FME 32 and 64 installed on the same machine where you are scheduling the task?

Badge +6

Hi @juliarozema, basically FME is doing the check so you dont need to 'let the task scheduler know' that ArcGIS is installed.

Could it be that you have FME 32 and 64 installed on the same machine where you are scheduling the task?

Hi @itay,

Only FME 64 bit & ArcGIS Pro are on the machine. ArcGIS Pro is logged in with an account with the correct license level.

Now an unrelated job that runs ArcGIS Pro from task scheduler failed, so maybe this is all related to something else. I will continue to investigate but am open to any other suggestions on what to investigate.

Badge +3

Is everything on the same machine?

Are you not running the batch trough a task scheduler on an other machine/server?

Have you tried scheduling an other workbench which does not require the bg geoprocessor. (I assume for the geo index) See if it works?

I’m also experiencing this issue. We’re running FME Desktop 2019.2.

My observations so far;

1. Workspace runs within FME and completes successfully.

2. Workspace runs when manually initialising the workspace from a batch file and completes successfully.

3. Running the scheduled task on demand (logged in) initialises the workspace and completes successfully.

4. Setting the scheduled task to “run whether user is logged in or not” will result in a failed task if the user is not logged in.

I’m surmising that when the user is not logged in the scheduled task is running inside a ‘shell’ and any ArcGIS Pro user profile information is not loaded resulting in FME not being ‘aware’ the user has the appropriate licencing.

Below are snippets from the FME workspace logs that may confirm this.

Task Success (logged in):

2020-02-11 16:02:21| 2.0| 1.4|INFORM|The ArcObjects license 'Advanced' is being selected from the ESRILicenseInfo ArcObjects call

2020-02-11 16:02:21| 2.4| 0.4|INFORM|FME has checked out an Esri license. The product checked out is 'Advanced'

2020-02-11 16:02:21| 2.4| 0.0|INFORM|Installed ArcGIS version is '2.4'

Task Failure (not logged in):

2020-02-12 10:02:25| 1.6| 0.0|INFORM|Opening the Geodatabase reader

2020-02-12 10:02:25| 1.6| 0.0|INFORM|An ArcGIS license is already checked out. The product checked out is 'Advanced'

2020-02-12 10:02:25| 1.6| 0.0|INFORM|Installed ArcGIS version is '?.?'

2020-02-12 10:02:25| 1.8| 0.1|ERROR |Could not open the Enterprise Geodatabase. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147220952'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {The Product License has not been initialized.}

Is anyone aware of a resolution to this issue?

Badge

Could be because the account you use to log into your machine (your AD credentials) is not recognized by FME as the the Named User account for the ArcPro license--you will want to check that association (between your AD and Named User) in the Portal that manages your ArcPro licenses.... I had this same issue / error when trying to run Workbenches in FME Server. The workaround for me in that case was to change the 'LogOn as' user in Windows Services panel so that FME Server runs under my personal AD credentials--which is less then ideal to say the least. ESRI seems to have tightened up its license policing with ArcPro --Con-current or Server Licenses are no longer acceptable eg....Named Users only.

Could be because the account you use to log into your machine (your AD credentials) is not recognized by FME as the the Named User account for the ArcPro license--you will want to check that association (between your AD and Named User) in the Portal that manages your ArcPro licenses.... I had this same issue / error when trying to run Workbenches in FME Server. The workaround for me in that case was to change the 'LogOn as' user in Windows Services panel so that FME Server runs under my personal AD credentials--which is less then ideal to say the least. ESRI seems to have tightened up its license policing with ArcPro --Con-current or Server Licenses are no longer acceptable eg....Named Users only.

A couple of things to add...

1. The account you're using to run the task may need to be a local adminstrator.
  2. You may need to run/signin to ArcGIS Pro once using the same user account (assuming the user has a named user licence assigned).