Solved

Viewing dashboards outside of FME Server/Cloud admin pages

• 16 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge +9

Hello,

Is it possible to view the html dashboard pages outside of the FME Server admin pages? For example I am intrested in writing a custom dashboard to FME Cloud and would like to share a direct link to it with some users, without requiring them to log in to FME Cloud/Server etc. and dealing with the UI. Is this possible? Thanks.

icon

Best answer by dbaldacchino1 16 December 2020, 21:04

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Could you setup a streaming service that streams back an html page. This would need to be configured using anonymous access

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Server_Documentation/AdminGuide/Configuring-Authentication-for-Security-Resources.htm

Badge +9

Hmmm I suppose that's a possibility: make a simple workspace that reads and streams the web page, then make it into a shared server app that is open...will give that a shot and see if it works. Thanks!

Badge +9

So I tested this options and it looks doable. The page is generated with a slight delay as a workspace has to run. Here's what I did:

• Created a simple workspace to read the html "dashboard" as a text file - all at once - then write it back to another html file. A separate workspace creates the original dashboard (an html summary table with links). I used the FME Server built-in parameters to locate these files:DashboardStream
  • I then created a Server App for the above workspace, which has no published parameters, and set it to run immediately: RunImmediately

I can now share the Server App URL, which will stream the "dashboard" to the user's browser. Are there alternative ways that don't require a workspace to run to just display a static web page on FME Server?

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

So I tested this options and it looks doable. The page is generated with a slight delay as a workspace has to run. Here's what I did:

• Created a simple workspace to read the html "dashboard" as a text file - all at once - then write it back to another html file. A separate workspace creates the original dashboard (an html summary table with links). I used the FME Server built-in parameters to locate these files:DashboardStream
  • I then created a Server App for the above workspace, which has no published parameters, and set it to run immediately: RunImmediately

I can now share the Server App URL, which will stream the "dashboard" to the user's browser. Are there alternative ways that don't require a workspace to run to just display a static web page on FME Server?

A dashboard is just a static html page, but that takes us back full circle 😂 😅

Not really unfortunately. Unless you have access to a webserver where you could host your own page seperate to FME server. You then would need to setup an FME process to periodically update that page

Badge +9

A dashboard is just a static html page, but that takes us back full circle 😂 😅

Not really unfortunately. Unless you have access to a webserver where you could host your own page seperate to FME server. You then would need to setup an FME process to periodically update that page

Yeah I guess I'm looking into turning FME Server into a webserver, especially FME Cloud 😂 We have an extensive sync process that runs on FME Cloud and I'm building logging to easily troubleshoot or spot issues etc. At least the solution you suggested is very close to making FME Server/Cloud an on-demand web server :) At least I can write detailed html summary logs with this method and create server apps to act as the URL (I can make the workspace shown above have a published parameter to select the appropriate dashboard). Thanks for the tip!