Skip to main content

I have been given a dgn file and imodel i.dgn that contain 3D solids and shapes. I can work with either file, but need to read the data into FME as 3D solids and translate them to a different 3D data format e.g. FBX. I have had the most luck with the .dgn file using the Bentley Microstation Design (V8) reader with some data read in as a fme_solid, but most of the data has a fme_gemoetry type of fme_line. Previously I had some success reading an i.dgn file using the Bentley i-model Interchange Format reader, but with this data it doesn't seem to read all the 3D objects.

How can I read all the data from the dgn files as fme_solids

?

In Bentley View the model looks like this...

In FME inspector using the Bentley Microstation Design (V8) reader it looks like this...

In FME inspector using the Bentley i-model Interchange Format reader it looks like this...

Note I'm using FME version 2018.1 and have 2019.0 beta installed

Hi @jamess

Unfortunately FME doesn't currently support reading 3D solids. However, the good news is that this functionality is planned for FME 2019, and is currently under development (for example, type 105, 3D Mesh elements, are already in beta).

So my suggestion is to contact our support team (safe.com/support) and send them a copy of your dataset. They can pass it on to the developers so that when we implement this functionality, your data can be used to test that it is being read correctly. Also you'll be informed when the functionality is complete and ready for user testing.

If you do that, the reference numbers for this work are FMEENGINE-10509 and FMEENGINE-56309

Hopefully we'll get this functionality in FME as soon as possible. I know I and a number of other users have been waiting patiently for it!

Mark

Hi @jamess

Unfortunately FME doesn't currently support reading 3D solids. However, the good news is that this functionality is planned for FME 2019, and is currently under development (for example, type 105, 3D Mesh elements, are already in beta).

So my suggestion is to contact our support team (safe.com/support) and send them a copy of your dataset. They can pass it on to the developers so that when we implement this functionality, your data can be used to test that it is being read correctly. Also you'll be informed when the functionality is complete and ready for user testing.

If you do that, the reference numbers for this work are FMEENGINE-10509 and FMEENGINE-56309

Hopefully we'll get this functionality in FME as soon as possible. I know I and a number of other users have been waiting patiently for it!

Mark

Thanks Mark. I have contacted FME support and look forward to seeing this new functionality available in future releases of the software.

James

Hi @jamess

Mark

Yes please!