Skip to main content

I converted from dgn file to esri shaoe file but it does not work properly .could soemone provide me what am i missing to do .

to get all attributes and also coordinate in output

Thanks

You can start by using the Generate Workspace option, which usually does a good job of trying to move all of the source data over to the destination format.

You say "it's not working properly", can you be a bit more specific? What were you expecting to see in the output that you didn't see?

You can start by using the Generate Workspace option, which usually does a good job of trying to move all of the source data over to the destination format.

You say "it's not working properly", can you be a bit more specific? What were you expecting to see in the output that you didn't see?

iam converting from dgn file to dxf or ESRI shape file ,bcs QGIS software is not suporting DGN file so i wanted to convert it ,but i found that missing data like id and some attributes when iam looking to it on QGIS .plus i need to have coordinate of the map for each lines also when i convert it but i did not find coordinates after i converted it i do not know why .

could u explain by example ,how can i do it coorectly to transfer all attributes and coordinates to destination format.

another file dgn i have converted ,i found it shows me on QGIS without map ,without figure but i see layers i do not know how

please explain me how can i do it correctly with out any problems bcs it is first time ia mdoing that to convert DGN files

thanks

iam converting from dgn file to dxf or ESRI shape file ,bcs QGIS software is not suporting DGN file so i wanted to convert it ,but i found that missing data like id and some attributes when iam looking to it on QGIS .plus i need to have coordinate of the map for each lines also when i convert it but i did not find coordinates after i converted it i do not know why .

could u explain by example ,how can i do it coorectly to transfer all attributes and coordinates to destination format.

another file dgn i have converted ,i found it shows me on QGIS without map ,without figure but i see layers i do not know how

please explain me how can i do it correctly with out any problems bcs it is first time ia mdoing that to convert DGN files

thanks

This is a bit old but will give you a general overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-50InMfN-g

There's some things to keep in mind when it comes to both DGN and Shape though. DGN has a lot of so-called format attributes, which are generally not visible in FME. They may, however, be important to you. If you click on the cogwheel icon of the DGN feature types you can set them visible.

Shape, on the other hand, has some strict limitations on the attributes (attribute names can be maximum 10 characters long) so you may have to do some manual editing. Again you can do that by clicking the cogwheel icon on the feature type.

To map attributes from one side to the other you can simply connect them.

I would highly recommend you go through the FME Desktop Introduction or Desktop Basic Training found here to get the most out of FME.

If you need more hints, please help us help you by sharing a sample of your data and screenshots of your workspace so far.

This is a bit old but will give you a general overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-50InMfN-g

There's some things to keep in mind when it comes to both DGN and Shape though. DGN has a lot of so-called format attributes, which are generally not visible in FME. They may, however, be important to you. If you click on the cogwheel icon of the DGN feature types you can set them visible.

Shape, on the other hand, has some strict limitations on the attributes (attribute names can be maximum 10 characters long) so you may have to do some manual editing. Again you can do that by clicking the cogwheel icon on the feature type.

I would highly recommend you go through the FME Desktop Introduction or Desktop Basic Training found here to get the most out of FME.

If you need more hints, please help us help you by sharing a sample of your data and screenshots of your workspace so far.

i will try to do what u told me and thanks for help

plese if that possible and u have dgn file .

could you please do conversion from dgn to dfx or esri shape file in correct way as u want bcs i am still missing some attributes s id and so one .

but unfortunately,i will not be able to share the file ,but if u have any file of dgn and u can share it with the method of conversion as example .i will be thankful for u because iam stll not able to convert it with all attributes and i watched the video also but there is mistake i think that i am doing .

.my file has polygon with many lines inside it .thanks

plese if that possible and u have dgn file .

could you please do conversion from dgn to dfx or esri shape file in correct way as u want bcs i am still missing some attributes s id and so one .

but unfortunately,i will not be able to share the file ,but if u have any file of dgn and u can share it with the method of conversion as example .i will be thankful for u because iam stll not able to convert it with all attributes and i watched the video also but there is mistake i think that i am doing .

.my file has polygon with many lines inside it .thanks

This will probably not look the same as your data, but here goes. I used the Generate Workspace option to generate a workspace that goes from DGN to Shape. It looks like this:

DGN has many "format attributes" that are hidden by default. If, for example, I want to export the igds_element_id attribute I first have to expose it in the reader feature type properties:

Note you'll need to do that for all feature types but you can speed that up by using the "Apply to" button.

Then I need to make sure that attribute is added to my writer feature type:

As it's a shapefile I need to stay within 10 characters for my attribute name (and if you want to map all of the DGN format attributes that'll be a challenge.

Then, as the name is different, I need to make sure it's actually filled by manually connecting it:

Rinse and repeat for all attributes, all feature types.

This will probably not look the same as your data, but here goes. I used the Generate Workspace option to generate a workspace that goes from DGN to Shape. It looks like this:

DGN has many "format attributes" that are hidden by default. If, for example, I want to export the igds_element_id attribute I first have to expose it in the reader feature type properties:

Note you'll need to do that for all feature types but you can speed that up by using the "Apply to" button.

Then I need to make sure that attribute is added to my writer feature type:

As it's a shapefile I need to stay within 10 characters for my attribute name (and if you want to map all of the DGN format attributes that'll be a challenge.

Then, as the name is different, I need to make sure it's actually filled by manually connecting it:

Rinse and repeat for all attributes, all feature types.

Thank you too much ,u r really helped me alot