Skip to main content

The steps I have so far: 

2 layers

SpatialRelator, which generates the list attributes with the intersects.

Then I test the output to find out which features have more than 1 relation (indicating overlapping with more than 1 feature).

Then I explode that list and delete the unimportant attributes with AttributeManager. I now have a table like this. First column containing a unique identifier for Layer 1, the second row containing the unique identifier for Layer 2. 

A feature of Layer 1 can overlap with multiple features of Layer 2, and vica verca, hence the duplicates on both sides.

Layer 1  Layer 2
ID1 123
ID1 345
ID2 987
ID3 456
ID3 123

Now the hard part. I can FeatureJoiner them together, and then dissolve, but then I miss a lot of features and don't dissolve enough overlaps. It doesnt create the perfect output.

What I want to achieve: 

I want all features of Layer 2 to dissolve together, based on the overlaps with features from Layer 2.

I added a drawing to visualise what I'm trying to achieve. The green polygons of Layer 1, the black are polygons of Layer 2. As you can see, a few polygons of Layer 1 overlap with the black. In one case there is 1 black polygon that has 2 green polygons that overlap, explaining the duplicate ids in the rows. 

What I want to achieve is merging the black polygons, ending up with single polygons shown by red. 

Does anyone have an idea how to achieve this? 

If I understand correctly:

2 sets of areas. You want to dissolve set 2 into groups where set 1 overlaps.

Make sure the columnnames of the id’s of the 2 different are different.

SpatialRelator, merge attributes.

Dissolver, group by the id of the seconds set.

Attached sample workspace.

If I understand correctly:

2 sets of areas. You want to dissolve set 2 into groups where set 1 overlaps.

Make sure the columnnames of the id’s of the 2 different are different.

SpatialRelator, merge attributes.

Dissolver, group by the id of the seconds set.

Attached sample workspace.

Thanks for your reply and thank you for providing a workspace. 

I got this far as well, however, when two polygons overlap a single polygon it doesn't achieve the desired result. To test this, you could try to split the left most purple feature in 2 and create a small gap in the middle left polygon it overlaps with. 

See my original image, there are a few overlaps where a single underlying polygon can overlap with multiple polygons on top.

Oops missed that. I now understand your issue, do not have a direct solution but will think about it :)

No problem! Thanks for your replies and for thinking of a solution.