Skip to main content

Can we save credentials for an ArcgisOnline writer in the workbench? Our Final Goal is to run this workbench from an automated batch script. This runs fine but after a period of time the connection to ArcGISOnline fails and we need to reconnect manually in the workbench

You could opt for using the REST API through a series of HTTPCallers.

First you obtain a token and after that you van do your edits.

In 2014 I worked out this example. This was when ArcGIS Online didn't have the support it has today. In the example I use a nummer of parameters to store the information. Nowadays it is possible to use 'password' as a parameter type, which allows tot store the parameter encrypted.

The HTTPCaller in the example puts the password in the URL. You can also store the password in the body. This way it will not be visible in the log file.

Do you mean something else then a web connection?

@itay Thanks for your answer. Yes I do mean a web connection...I think...

@lars_de_vries Thanks for your answer. I'll look into it. I might need some extra skills for that :-)

Extra Screendump of my problem: No parameter to store user/password on Web connection. Am I missing something?

@lars_de_vries Thanks for your answer. I'll look into it. I might need some extra skills for that :-)

Extra Screendump of my problem: No parameter to store user/password on Web connection. Am I missing something?

@maartenwdod,

I am not really into Server, but if I remember well, the web connection needs to exist on the server side as well, using the exact same name as is used in the FME workspace.

If it is set up that way, it should recognise the webservice and use the credentials set in Server.

Another issue in that case might be that the account used in Server is not authorized for the service you are trying to reach.

@maartenwdod,

I am not really into Server, but if I remember well, the web connection needs to exist on the server side as well, using the exact same name as is used in the FME workspace.

If it is set up that way, it should recognise the webservice and use the credentials set in Server.

Another issue in that case might be that the account used in Server is not authorized for the service you are trying to reach.

@lars_de_vries Just to be clear. I'm not using FMEServer. Just building workbenches in FME Desktop. For automation we use windows scheduler and a *.cmd or *.bat file to run the FME workbench

@lars_de_vries Just to be clear. I'm not using FMEServer. Just building workbenches in FME Desktop. For automation we use windows scheduler and a *.cmd or *.bat file to run the FME workbench

Very well. Still it is important to use the same name for the same webconnection over different computers.

Hoi @maartenwdod,

It looks like you already have defined a webconnection (AGOL) to make sure it is configured correctly (e.i. user and password) see the webconnections tab onder the Tools menu > FME options.

If you set up the connection correctly and test it it should connect with the service see the documentation for more information.

Hope this helps,

Itay

@lars_de_vries @itay

Found a solution: Use an ARCGISPORTALFEATURES writer instead of an ARCGISONLINEFEATURES writer.

The ARCGISPORTALFEATURES has the possibility to store user credentials.

Thanks for your help

@lars_de_vries @itay

Found a solution: Use an ARCGISPORTALFEATURES writer instead of an ARCGISONLINEFEATURES writer.

The ARCGISPORTALFEATURES has the possibility to store user credentials.

Thanks for your help

With this writer you can easily setup some Published and Private Parameters to easily maintain the input!

I wasn't aware that the Portal writer also works on Online data.