Question

AreaOnAreaOverlayer

• 22 November 2012
  • 7 replies

This transformer does everything I need it to - I have multiple overlapping polygons in a MapInfo Table, and I need to accumulate statistics on the overlapping areas, from each of the component polygons.

I can do this using the List Name option in the transformer and I get an expanded attribute list for the Writer showing all of the attribute data

- I can see the results ok within an FME Visualiser

- However when I try and output the data to MapInfo  none of the attribute data is populated.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Bruce

7 replies

Badge +21
Have you tried to Save As Directly in the FME Visualizer? If that works you just need to define the output-attributes or configure the reader to be dynamic, or add your specific attributes created in the workspace.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi Bruce,

When viewing in the visualiser FME builds format attributes (the list attributes in your case) to get to them you need to expose them, did you ?

Itay
@Itay   I tried to expose the attributes using a Listexploder, and that didn't work - it just gave me duplicate polygons for the overlapped areas :-(

@SigTill  I used the SaveAs  from the Visualiser, and again I got no attribute data for the additional fields :-(
Badge +21
@Bruce: Do you have som small example data or screenshots? Perhaps you need to convert lists to attributes? Not sure about the limitations on MapInfo-formats for storing lists vs attributes.
Userlevel 4
Badge +26
Anything in the log window/file? sorry if it's obvious, but that's where I'd look first.
Badge +2
Hi Bruce,

As Sig pointed out, MapInfo files do not support lists like FME does. In order for you to output the list values to MapInfo, you will need to rename the attributes to a MapInfo appropriate attribute name.

For example:

Rename _list{0}.ID to FirstID and _list{1}.ID to SecondID.

Do not use the ListExploder, rather perhaps try the AttributeExposer and AttributeRenamer.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Everyone - with your help I've managed to solve the riddle.

• In the AreaonAreaOverlayer I "Exposed (the) Elements" 
    • right click on the attribute name and you can choose how many to expose - I chose 4 as the dataset isn't too large.

• I then called an AttributeRenamer - to change the list strucure of the attributes.

• Part of the inherent problem ,it would seem, as people have suggested, is the way that lists are handled.

• There list attribute includes Brace marks  {}   and mapinfo has difficulty handling these, and also there are period marks in the attribute name which might cause addiitional problems.

ie.

Poly{}.Fishingtyp   becomes Poly1_Fishingtyp   etc. 

Muchas gracias mi amigos