Question

FME Desktop convert IFC to Cesium 3D Tiles

• 17 October 2019
  • 4 replies

Hi, I'm using the FME Desktop to convert IFC to Cesium 3D Tiles, and the convertion was successful, but when I used the Cesium Client to present the 3D Tiles, it was not showing, and always show the message on the console:

p.s. my IFC file is in EPSG:4978 Coordinate System

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @iverson,

Off the top of my head a few things to check could be:

1. Is FME reading in your source IFC's coordinate system? You can check in the Feature Information Window under Coordinate system to see if it's set. If not, try setting it explicitly in either the reader or a CoordinateSystemSetter. The writer will then reproject it into the right coordinate system for Cesium to display but the model will then be in the right location (I've absolutely missed this before and gotten the result you described with the model not showing).

2. Check if the model is just very dark. I always forget there's a time-daylight setting in Cesium

3. Check FME's translation log to see if there were any errors or warnings that might give you some clues

Hope one of these helps a bit! If not, would you be able to share a sample IFC file and the full translation log? That'll provide us with more information and encourage more responses from the Community. Thanks!

Hi @iverson,

Off the top of my head a few things to check could be:

1. Is FME reading in your source IFC's coordinate system? You can check in the Feature Information Window under Coordinate system to see if it's set. If not, try setting it explicitly in either the reader or a CoordinateSystemSetter. The writer will then reproject it into the right coordinate system for Cesium to display but the model will then be in the right location (I've absolutely missed this before and gotten the result you described with the model not showing).

2. Check if the model is just very dark. I always forget there's a time-daylight setting in Cesium

3. Check FME's translation log to see if there were any errors or warnings that might give you some clues

Hope one of these helps a bit! If not, would you be able to share a sample IFC file and the full translation log? That'll provide us with more information and encourage more responses from the Community. Thanks!

Hi, @jovitaatsafe, thanks for your reply, my ifc file is in a Coordinate Sytem named IFC_COORDSYS_0 which based on the WGS84 , as the image:

And when I convert to 3D tiles, it always failed, no matter what Coordinate System I set for the Writer. But when I set the Coordinate System for IFC Reader to EPSG:4978, the Translation Successful, but nothing show on the Cesium map, I have uploaded my translation log file, if there are some setting I missed, please tell me, thanks.

translation log.txt

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Check to make sure that the data are in the correct scale. Looking at the Coordinate system description I can see that the unit is mm rather than meters, this could be causing issues in the reprojector.

Also you should use a GeometryFilter to remove any NULL geometries. The reprojector might be failing on these or some other geometry.

When you set the input IFC to be EPSG:4978 this will not work as the units are wrong.

When you inspect the IFC file in the data inspector does it look correct? in the 2D view is it in the right place?

Another option is to try the CSMapReprojector rather than the Reprojector. You might get better results (or at least some errors with more Information about the problem).
Userlevel 3
Badge +12

I have the same problem