Skip to main content

Hi,

is there any option how to set the readers options, that I do not need to add a new reader when I want to change a dataset? I have always Ersi Format, but a different Dataset, and the same workbench.

Till now I added always a new reader with a new name, but now I have to do a lot of things, so I would preffer to change only dataset instead to add a whole reader.

Thanks.

When you add a reader FME automatically creates a published user parameter: "SourceDataset_xxx". This contains the location of the dataset you are reading and is linked to the Source dataset of your reader.

By changing this you can easily change the dataset the reader is reading.

I would say checking the option: "Prompt for user parameters" on the run button makes it very easy to change this whenever you run your workspace.

You will get the popup asking where the source dataset comes from. You simple change your dataset here.

Keep in mind that if the schema of the dataset changes you want to read it in with Single merge feature type.

When you add a reader FME automatically creates a published user parameter: "SourceDataset_xxx". This contains the location of the dataset you are reading and is linked to the Source dataset of your reader.

By changing this you can easily change the dataset the reader is reading.

I would say checking the option: "Prompt for user parameters" on the run button makes it very easy to change this whenever you run your workspace.

You will get the popup asking where the source dataset comes from. You simple change your dataset here.

Keep in mind that if the schema of the dataset changes you want to read it in with Single merge feature type.

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

Could you maybe send a photo of where can I find an check this option, please?

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

Could you maybe send a photo of where can I find an check this option, please?

Of course!

The user parameter should be created automatically and should be linked by default. Then you only need to check the option.

If you are using FME 2019 you can find it by clicking on the little arrow next to the Run button:

In previous FME versions (2018.1 in this screenshot) you can toggle the button with the Question mark.

In both versions you can also toggle it in the menu bar under the Run header (see screenshot from 2018.1).

Of course!

The user parameter should be created automatically and should be linked by default. Then you only need to check the option.

If you are using FME 2019 you can find it by clicking on the little arrow next to the Run button:

In previous FME versions (2018.1 in this screenshot) you can toggle the button with the Question mark.

In both versions you can also toggle it in the menu bar under the Run header (see screenshot from 2018.1).

Hello jurgen,

I did what you´ve adviced, but unfortunatelly I did not get the results as wished...The reader was not readed due to a rename of Dataset...

Hello jurgen,

I did what you´ve adviced, but unfortunatelly I did not get the results as wished...The reader was not readed due to a rename of Dataset...

I sort of assumed the datasets were the same but only the location changes but if the feature types actually differ you have to change a setting.

If you click on the featuretype in your canvas you can check the box "Merge feature type" and leave the merge filter at "*".

This will join together the feature types and allow you to read the source dynamically.

Only thing you need to keep in mind is that you might need to use an AttributeExposer to expose the attributes you want to work with in your workspace.

If the attributes are the same in all the shapes but only the name changes you can keep the original attributes from the first shape you read in before you check the merge button 🙂.

I sort of assumed the datasets were the same but only the location changes but if the feature types actually differ you have to change a setting.

If you click on the featuretype in your canvas you can check the box "Merge feature type" and leave the merge filter at "*".

This will join together the feature types and allow you to read the source dynamically.

Only thing you need to keep in mind is that you might need to use an AttributeExposer to expose the attributes you want to work with in your workspace.

If the attributes are the same in all the shapes but only the name changes you can keep the original attributes from the first shape you read in before you check the merge button 🙂.

Hi,

thanks, now it has worked! Great support!