Skip to main content

As I have seen in

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/1070/thinning-and-combining-point-clouds.html

It is possible to do points cloud thinning in FME. My problem is that I don't want to thin them by any of offered possibilities.

In places with similar altitude, I would like to delete more points, and in places with higher elevation differences I would like to keep more points.

For beginning I am extracting coordinates but I am not sure how to use that for filtering and thinning the las point cloud.

Thank you all in advance for all the help.

Dejan

Hi @maliodpalube,

Please try using the PointCloudSimplifier transformer to thin your point cloud. This transformer uses a sophisticated algorithm to thin the point cloud while retaining its character.

Hi @DaveAtSafe,

Does this PointCloudSimplifier transformer will add more points too?

Pratap

Hi @maliodpalube,

Please try using the PointCloudSimplifier transformer to thin your point cloud. This transformer uses a sophisticated algorithm to thin the point cloud while retaining its character.

I have tried but I am not sure how to set it to keep places with higher altitude differences and how to delete some points on flat areas.

If You would be able for some hint, I would be really thankful.

I have tried but I am not sure how to set it to keep places with higher altitude differences and how to delete some points on flat areas.

If You would be able for some hint, I would be really thankful.

Hi @maliodpalube,

The transformer will automatically delete more points in the flat areas. You just need to set the degree of simplification in the Filter Ratio.

Hi @maliodpalube,

You have to divide the area based on Z value (i.e.elevation) using PointCloudFilter (it will be just like testfilter) transformer. For this, you have to filter/divide the data using expression as mentioned below...

@Component(z) < 500--> Port1

@Component(z) > 505&&

@Component(z) < 510--> Port2

and then use appropriate transformer on area wise. (Z value is just assumption, it needs to change as per your data)

Later combine all the data write to las file...

Hope this helps...

Pratap