Skip to main content

I have a workbench to look at changes between a new worksheet and an old worksheet. These data populate three tabs in a workbook: "changed", "deleted", "updated". The intial run populated the deleted tab with a few records that had been deleted. I re-ran the workbench with matching data and the "deleted data" remained on the deleted tab. I would like the data on the tabs to be overwritten each time.

There should be an option to truncate existing sheets/named ranges

@kat18 The Truncate Existing Sheet on the feature type, as suggested by @ebygomm, only works if you write a feature to the sheet. The same with writer option Overwrite existing File = Yes. This looks like something we should fix.

In the meantime, add a Creator to your workspace and set Create at End = Yes. This will write a blank row to your sheet and trigger the truncate or overwrite, depending on which one you choose.

Another option would be to use an empty Excel workbook with the three tabs as a template.

The three tabs would only contain the attribute headers.

Then the output workbook would always have the three tabs, with or without data.

You can find that setting in the Navigator window under the Excel writer.

@kat18 The Truncate Existing Sheet on the feature type, as suggested by @ebygomm, only works if you write a feature to the sheet. The same with writer option Overwrite existing File = Yes. This looks like something we should fix.

In the meantime, add a Creator to your workspace and set Create at End = Yes. This will write a blank row to your sheet and trigger the truncate or overwrite, depending on which one you choose.

Thanks Mark, that seemed to have work. I have added in a Sorter to ensure that the Created line comes at the end of the data to stop generation of a blank row at the top. Otherwise it seems to be functioning as I would expect. Thank you again, Kat