Question

Dynamic DWG template

• 24 March 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +16
  • Contributor
  • 1425 replies

Hi There,

I am using FME to convert data into DWG by using a predefined template. This works fine but has the limitation that I cannot dynamically create layers since they will not match with the template definitions and creating the layers in the workspace has its own disadvantages.

I cannot add all possible definitions into the template since the data and therefore the splitsing of the layers is different per conversion.

I would appreciate any ideas or other ppl experiences trying to achieve this.

Cheers,

Itay

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

I solved this by creating a template (B) from a template (A) and then create the final file based on template (B).

Also see this idea.

Badge +16

I solved this by creating a template (B) from a template (A) and then create the final file based on template (B).

Also see this idea.

Hi Niels,

Yes that is the way I was thinking of solving it too, not very efficient and possibly disruptive....that's why I was hoping for a different suggestion.

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

Hi Niels,

Yes that is the way I was thinking of solving it too, not very efficient and possibly disruptive....that's why I was hoping for a different suggestion.

An alternative I tried was to use FME to textedit a DXF template, but found more downsides and decided to go the other road.

Badge +16

Hi Niels,

Thx again Niels, this is even more tricky....and error prone. Appreciate you sharing this.

Seems like this is a limitation of FME that is not easy to solve.