Question

OSM pbf reader gives error

• 19 February 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

I have downloaded the transportation file with pbf extention through hotosm. However, FME throws error while reading the file.

The error I get as it is in the following: "Failed to obtain any schemas from reader 'OSMPBF' from 1 datasets. This may be due to invalid datasets or format accessibility issues due to licensing, dependencies, or module loading."

Thanks in advance.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @jugoslaviaa

Could you share us the complete Log File?

Thanks,

Danilo

Badge +1

Hi @jugoslaviaa

Could you share us the complete Log File?

Thanks,

Danilo

Hi @danilo_fme,

Even thought error message says about the log file, I am not able find it. At least, it has not been stored in the path i have given in the Work Space Parameter - Logging - Log File. I will come paste the entire error message I do get here . I have added the dataset in the question if it is any help.

--Error Message--

Creating reader for format: OpenStreetMap (OSM) Protocolbuffer Binary Format (PBF)

Trying to find a DYNAMIC plugin for reader named `OSMPBF'

Loaded module 'OSMPBF' from file 'C:\\Program Files\\FME\\plugins/gdal/GDAL.dll'

FME API version of module 'OSMPBF' matches current internal version (3.8 20170315)

OSMPBF reader: file 'G:/osm-centerline/paris_export.pbf' is invalid for this format

A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

Failed to obtain any schemas from reader 'OSMPBF' from 1 datasets. This may be due to invalid datasets or format accessibility issues due to licensing, dependencies, or module loading. See logfile for more information

FME Session Duration: 0.1 seconds. (CPU: 0.1s user, 0.0s system)

END - ProcessID: 13944, peak process memory usage: 56880 kB, current process memory usage: 40868 kB

Failed to obtain any schemas from reader 'OSMPBF' from 1 datasets. This may be due to invalid datasets or format accessibility issues due to licensing, dependencies, or module loading. See logfile for more information

Program Terminating

Translation FAILED.

Workspace generation failed. Parameter file was C:\\Users\\FME\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\FME_155066218063_17372.

Thanks in advance.

Badge +1

Hi @danilo_fme,

Even thought error message says about the log file, I am not able find it. At least, it has not been stored in the path i have given in the Work Space Parameter - Logging - Log File. I will come paste the entire error message I do get here . I have added the dataset in the question if it is any help.

--Error Message--

Creating reader for format: OpenStreetMap (OSM) Protocolbuffer Binary Format (PBF)

Loaded module 'OSMPBF' from file 'C:\\Program Files\\FME\\plugins/gdal/GDAL.dll'

FME API version of module 'OSMPBF' matches current internal version (3.8 20170315)

OSMPBF reader: file 'G:/osm-centerline/paris_export.pbf' is invalid for this format

END - ProcessID: 13944, peak process memory usage: 56880 kB, current process memory usage: 40868 kB

Program Terminating

Translation FAILED.

Workspace generation failed. Parameter file was C:\\Users\\FME\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\FME_155066218063_17372.

Thanks in advance.

I tried renaming the file paris_export.osm.pbf, i.e. changing the ending to .osm.pbf, then it works just fine. Not sure why FME seems to be picky about the .osm.pbf-ending, but that seems to be the issue. Let me know if this works for you!

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @danilo_fme,

--Error Message--

Program Terminating

Translation FAILED.

Thanks in advance.

Hi @jugoslaviaa

Thanks your data. When You open de Reader OpenStreetMap (OSM) Protocolbuffer Binary Format (PBF) the FME waits the extension *osm.pbf

Please, rename your extension for .osm.pdf, and the results are OK.

Thanks,

Danilo

Badge +1

Yes,it works! Thank you very much. Now I have to find out how I can extract the other_tag information from the file!

Best

Badge +1

@danilo_fme,

One more question, if i open this pbf (lines) file in QGIS, I see other_tag attribute. However, it does not appear after FME read the data. Do you have any idea what the reason may be? Or should i ask this one seperately? Thanks.

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Yes,it works! Thank you very much. Now I have to find out how I can extract the other_tag information from the file!

Best

Excellent! I'm happy to help you.