Question

[FME 2019 - ACAD Reader] Error: The encoded string is not a valid fme-wwjd string

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

Greetings!

I wanted to start using FME 2019 today with a new workflow I'ven been tasked to create. It's pretty simple: read polygons from a DWG file and store them in a SHAPE file.

The source file has many layers, so my idea was reading all the layters except one (it contains texts I don't want). I have checked the "Single Merged Feature Option" and in the "Feature types to read" parameter I have picked the ones I want:

0684Q00000ArFQRQA3.png

When I try to run this, I get the following error:

ERROR |ACAD reader: The encoded string is not a valid fme-wwjd string: 'ELC.02 - AREA DE EXPANSI\xC3\x93N OESTE'

It seems the Reader doesn't like the accents in the layer names.

If I use "Single Feature Types" instead of merged ones, FME is capable of reading all the features.

I still have FME 2018.1 installed, so I have tried the same steps in that version and it works fine with merged features.

Could this be a bug of FME 2019 (19238) or is there something new about that reader that I am missing?

30 replies

Badge +1

I'm having same error message with FME 2019, my layer names contain scandinavic letters ä and ö. Using RealDWG reader, group entities: by layer this error appears, but with grouping by geometry, its fine.

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @oscard

I'm using the FME 2019 and I tried to inspect this error with layers in Portuguese language - for example layer name: Numeração.

The read action was perfect in my machine.

Thanks,

Danilo

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

Hi @oscard

I'm using the FME 2019 and I tried to inspect this error with layers in Portuguese language - for example layer name: Numeração.

Thanks,

Danilo

Did you use the "Single Merged Feature" in the Reader?

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Yes, I used it

Badge +5

If you get rid of the feature type public parameter or if you switch to fixed list (reimporting the layer names from your dataset there) then fme protects those characters.

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Could you share this data that I can do test here in my machine, if you want.

Thanks

Danilo

Badge

Hi @oscard

Thanks,

Danilo

Hi Danilo

Please have a look at case C144251. It's similar to this and contains our findings (issue is with Feature Types to Read parameter)

Kind regards,

Petri

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

Could you share this data that I can do test here in my machine, if you want.

Thanks

Danilo

Thanks for offering, but I can't share the data. I will work with FME 2018 for this project.

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Thanks for offering, but I can't share the data. I will work with FME 2018 for this project.

Ok. No problem.

Thanks,

Danilo

Badge

Hi @oscard, hi @kino

this sounds like a bug to me. I have filed FMEDESKTOP-8904 bug report asking to investigate the problem. We do have some non-English data samples, so we do have something to test with, however, if you could provide us with your actual data samples it would be helpful too.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I hope we will find the root of the problem and will be able to fix in 2019.1 release.

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

Hi @oscard, hi @kino

this sounds like a bug to me. I have filed FMEDESKTOP-8904 bug report asking to investigate the problem. We do have some non-English data samples, so we do have something to test with, however, if you could provide us with your actual data samples it would be helpful too.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I hope we will find the root of the problem and will be able to fix in 2019.1 release.

I will ask if I can provide you with the data. Where should I send it to?

Badge +2

I will ask if I can provide you with the data. Where should I send it to?

Hi @oscard We'd created a case and sent you an email, so you can respond to it with the data. Thanks very much!
Badge

Hi @oscard

Thanks,

Danilo

Hello @danilo_fme

I ran into the same issue, this worked fine in FME 2018.

Seems like 2019 (Build 19246) doesn't like German very much.

It's complaining about "_zum Abkl\\xC3\\xA4ren", which is probaby "_zum Abklären"?

Especially on feature names.

Super easy to reproduce, I attached a DWG with a Layer "_zum Abklären": FME 2019 String Test.dwg

Could you take a look?

Badge +2

Hello @danilo_fme

It's complaining about "_zum Abkl\\xC3\\xA4ren", which is probaby "_zum Abklären"?

Super easy to reproduce, I attached a DWG with a Layer "_zum Abklären": FME 2019 String Test.dwg

Could you take a look?

Hi @ras, Thank you for letting us know about this. It does sound quite suspicious. One of our experts is looking into it. We'll try to get back to you in the next few days.

In the meanwhile, can you please tell us what is the System Locale setting you are using? (In case you've not checked it before, this quick video shows you how). This info will help us investigate the issue.

Thank you!

Badge +3
Hi @ras, Thank you for letting us know about this. It does sound quite suspicious. One of our experts is looking into it. We'll try to get back to you in the next few days.

In the meanwhile, can you please tell us what is the System Locale setting you are using? (In case you've not checked it before, this quick video shows you how). This info will help us investigate the issue.

Thank you!

@xiaomengatsafe

Ok, thanks. My system locale settings say "German (Germany)".

Badge

Hello @danilo_fme

Could you take a look?

Hi @ras

I have tried reading your data with

• Autodesk AutoCAD DWG/DXF,
  • Autodesk AutoCAD RealDWG DWG/DXF,
  • Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D Object Data, and
  • Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D

Readers using FME 2019.0 build 19246 and was not able to reproduce the problem. On German (Germany) locale, every Reader added _zum Abklären layer and read the single feature placed on this layer successfully.

Could you please create a workspace with one (or all) DWG Reader(s) added and run the workspace attempting to read 26710-fme-2019-string-test.dwg? If you could then share the workspace and the translation log with us, it would be very helpful. I hope we will solve this mystery.

Badge

Hi @ras

I have tried reading your data with

• Autodesk AutoCAD DWG/DXF,
  • Autodesk AutoCAD RealDWG DWG/DXF,
  • Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D Object Data, and
  • Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D

Readers using FME 2019.0 build 19246 and was not able to reproduce the problem. On German (Germany) locale, every Reader added _zum Abklären layer and read the single feature placed on this layer successfully.

Could you please create a workspace with one (or all) DWG Reader(s) added and run the workspace attempting to read 26710-fme-2019-string-test.dwg? If you could then share the workspace and the translation log with us, it would be very helpful. I hope we will solve this mystery.

@lenaatsafe

Hello, thanks for the effort so far, I appreciate it.

This is a bit of a puzzle.

• Just to confirm, in FME 2018 (Build 18592), no issues:

• In FME 2019 (19246), doesn't matter which DWG reader:

ACAD reader: The encoded string is not a valid fme-wwjd string: '_zum Abkl\\xC3\\xA4ren'

MULTI_READER(MULTI_READER): Skipping to next Reader

REALDWG reader: The encoded string is not a valid fme-wwjd string: '_zum Abkl\\xC3\\xA4ren'

AUTOCAD_OD reader: The encoded string is not a valid fme-wwjd string: '_zum Abkl\\xC3\\xA4ren'

I'm out of ideas.

I have similar problems with German layer- and filenames. I just installed the latest built (19608) but the problems are still the same:

Is there any progress?

Badge +2

I have similar problems with German layer- and filenames. I just installed the latest built (19608) but the problems are still the same:

Is there any progress?

Hi @florian,

Unfortunately, no update just yet. If you would like to be notified via email when there is an update to the status of FMEENGINE-59779, please submit a case using out Report a Problem webform and reference FMEENGINE-59779 in the comments box.
Userlevel 2
Badge +19

Hi @oscard, hi @kino

Hi! Any news about this issue?

Badge

I encounter the same problems with french accents.

Badge +3

Unicode programming error, looks like.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Unfortunately there is no solution yet, but I will do what I can to increase the priority for this issue. Apologies for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hey folks, just to let you know that I got in touch with the development team responsible for this. Ironically (if that's the word) I missed their weekly meeting this morning by a few minutes, so we'll have to wait until next week for them to look at the issue. But I'm told it is now a "priority fix" and so I hope to see some action on it shortly. I've asked for it to go into a 2019.2.x service pack, so we'll see if that can happen.

In short: things are moving and I'm hopeful of (though don't guarantee) a fix in the coming weeks.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi all. Good news. I am told that this issue is fixed. The fix is in FME 2019.2 as of build 19806. You may have to re-add the reader (I'm not sure) and if for some reason it still causes a problem, then please let us know.

Regards

Mark