Question

Bentley 3D DGN TO Esri Geodatabase file conversion without geometry and attribute loss workflow??

• 22 October 2018
  • 4 replies

I have a 3D DGN file comprising of a building model, I wanted to convert it to ESRI Geodatabase without any geometry and attribute loss. I used "GeometryFilter" transformer however only lines and polygons are created without attribute information lost. Can multipatch geometry be created?? Is there a direct workflow available to achieve 100% conversion from DGN file to Geodatabase?? Please help me with the workflow. I can share a sample file if you can look into it.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @anushsagar,

FME can create multipatch geometry, but only with the Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb) writer, which requires that ArcGIS be installed and licensed on the same computer as FME.

The Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb Open API) writer does not require ArcGIS be present, but cannot handle multipatch geometries.

Hi @anushsagar,

FME can create multipatch geometry, but only with the Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb) writer, which requires that ArcGIS be installed and licensed on the same computer as FME.

The Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb Open API) writer does not require ArcGIS be present, but cannot handle multipatch geometries.

@DaveAtSafe Thanks for your reply. Can Bentley 3D DGN files be converted to ESRI File geodatabase without any geometry loss?? iIf so, can you help me with the workflow.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
@DaveAtSafe Thanks for your reply. Can Bentley 3D DGN files be converted to ESRI File geodatabase without any geometry loss?? iIf so, can you help me with the workflow.

Hi @anushsagar,

If you would like to send me a copy fo your DGN file, I would be happy to create an initial workspace for you. If you don't want to share your data publicly, you can send it to me directly: dave.campanas@safe.com.

Badge +2

Hi,

Which geometries you are losing during translation?