Solved

Reading multi-patch geometry from File GeoDatabase

• 19 September 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi,

I am trying to read a multipatch geometry from ESRI File Geodatabase and getting the following error:

FME API version of module 'FILEGDB' matches current internal version (3.8 20170315) FileGDB Reader: Feature class '*****' has shape type 'esriGeometryMultiPatch' which is unknown to FME. Skipping feature class

(I am using OSX version of FME Desktop 2017.1, build 17539). I was wondering if it's supported on Windows with FGDB (ArcObject based format). Is MultiPatch Geometry reading supported by FME using Shapefiles?

I appreciate any advice on this (puzzling for me) question.

Kind regards,

Alexander

icon

Best answer by geosander 19 September 2017, 07:39

View original

3 replies

Badge +7

The File Geodatabase API can't read multipatch features, unfortunately. This is not a shortcoming of FME, but caused by Esri's API that is rather limited.

There are a couple of other options:

1) You'd have to use the ArcObjects reader instead. But then you need to switch to Windows and buy an Esri license...

2) You need to find a way to export your File Geodatabase to a multipatch shapefile (no wonder that format is still so popular...) and read that with FME to process it further.

Badge +11

The File Geodatabase API can't read multipatch features, unfortunately. This is not a shortcoming of FME, but caused by Esri's API that is rather limited.

There are a couple of other options:

1) You'd have to use the ArcObjects reader instead. But then you need to switch to Windows and buy an Esri license...

2) You need to find a way to export your File Geodatabase to a multipatch shapefile (no wonder that format is still so popular...) and read that with FME to process it further.

Keep in mind, that Shape Multipatch doesn't support texture!

Badge +7
Keep in mind, that Shape Multipatch doesn't support texture!

True, yes, thanks for the addition.