Question

Hi, I'm trying to convert An AutoCAD(DWG) file to Esri Geodatabase with the labels (Annotation) to attributes. How can I do that?? and also if I have the Geodatabase schema, how can i convert these labels to the attributes?

Hi, I'm trying to convert An AutoCAD(DWG) file to Esri Geodatabase with the labels (Annotation) to attributes. How can I do that?? and also if I have the Geodatabase schema, how can i convert these labels to the attributes?

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @marwa_awad​, this tutorial on preserving block entities from DWG to SHP might help-- you may need to tweak the step-by-step instructions depending on how your data looks but this should get you started and show you how to convert your labels to attributes.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

Hi @marwa_awad​, this tutorial on preserving block entities from DWG to SHP might help-- you may need to tweak the step-by-step instructions depending on how your data looks but this should get you started and show you how to convert your labels to attributes.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks @saraatsafe​ for your help, but are there any special requirements to convert the annotation as an attribute, I'm trying to apply the steps with my file but it's not working.

Is there any template or something to try?

Badge +20

You should provide some sample data for a precise answer to this question.

CAD to GIS transformations/integrations are a wide field of their own.

Would asume that your CAD annotations are autocad_text or autocad_mtext features. They each have autocad_alignment_x/y/z attributes for georeferencing purposes, autocad_justification, autocad_layer, autocad_text_string attributes. You may want to assign some of the attributes values to other features (lines/areas).

So, it's complicated.

You should provide some sample data for a precise answer to this question.

CAD to GIS transformations/integrations are a wide field of their own.

Would asume that your CAD annotations are autocad_text or autocad_mtext features. They each have autocad_alignment_x/y/z attributes for georeferencing purposes, autocad_justification, autocad_layer, autocad_text_string attributes. You may want to assign some of the attributes values to other features (lines/areas).

So, it's complicated.

Thank you for your response! I understand that CAD to GIS transformations can be complex. Regarding the sample data, unfortunately, I don't have any at the moment, but I will try to provide more details to help with my question. My annotations are indeed autocad_text features, and I'm interested in converting the autocad_text_string attribute into a feature attribute. How would you suggest I go about doing this?