Question

When will I3S Writer support point clouds?

• 19 January 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge +3

Hi, all, as the title suggests, we bought FME Server on the back of this information on the FME Website which reads

"Esri’s I3S format is perfect for streaming large, heterogeneous 3D data across internet platforms. Create FME workflows to bring your 3D objects, meshes and point clouds together as a scene layer package (SLPK). This format is easy to handle and is ready to use in the cloud, on the web, or on your mobile device."

Of course, we have learnt that point clouds is not yet supported. Can we get an update on what date the point clouds will be supported?

Also, in the meantime, I think the FME website should be updated to more accurately reflect capability.

9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Thanks for reaching out @swit012​! That's correct, the I3S Writer doesn't currently support point clouds. I'm sorry that you found that page misleading. I've shared your comments with our Marketing team to see if we can rephrase it to make it clear that we can write to I3S from point cloud sources. I've also asked for an update on a potential roadmap for I3S point cloud support (internal reference FMEENGINE-60950), and will share it here when I hear back.

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Update: The team is considering an update to the I3S Writer (including point cloud support) for some time after the FME 2023.0 release (which usually occurs in the spring). It's early days, so this timeline is subject to change.

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Hi @swit012​, I just wanted to inform you that the web page you shared above has been updated based on your feedback. Thanks again for pointing this out. We'll try providing updates here as well when we've implemented point cloud support.

Badge +2

Update: The team is considering an update to the I3S Writer (including point cloud support) for some time after the FME 2023.0 release (which usually occurs in the spring). It's early days, so this timeline is subject to change.

Hi there, do you have an updated timeline for point cloud support in slpks? We also bought FME flow with this workflow in mind.

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Hi there, do you have an updated timeline for point cloud support in slpks? We also bought FME flow with this workflow in mind.

Thanks for reaching out @mgg_beca​. Work on this is still scheduled to begin after the official release of FME 2023.0. The team recognizes that we have significant interest from the FME Community for point cloud support. Appreciate the check-in!

Badge +2

Hi @swit012​, I just wanted to inform you that the web page you shared above has been updated based on your feedback. Thanks again for pointing this out. We'll try providing updates here as well when we've implemented point cloud support.

Hi there,

With 2023.1 out now, is there any update on the timeframe for this?

Thanks,

Marc

Badge +3

Hi, there, this is your annual prompt to see when point clouds will be added to the I3S writer.

Badge +2

Thanks for reaching out @mgg_beca​. Work on this is still scheduled to begin after the official release of FME 2023.0. The team recognizes that we have significant interest from the FME Community for point cloud support. Appreciate the check-in!

Hey there,

I would like to second this opinion! We too are also crying out for this functionality.

Thanks!

Badge +4

Thank you for your question! Currently, work is ongoing and we will be assessing the work further in 2024.

In the meantime the following community response and article may offer some ideas and help:

For more context and help for our Developers, we would appreciate details of your work that requires or would benefit from the I3S writer supporting point clouds. I can then share those details with our Developers and push/advocate on your behalf regarding the I3S writer. We thank you for sharing your needs!