Question

Extracting Oracle Spatial data using Feature Reader in FME 2022.2 is failing

• 14 December 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

Customer has a working migration chain on FME 2021.2.5 and we would like to upgrade to 2022.2. At first, I started extracting data using FeatureReader from our source (Oracle Spatial), but I have strange warning message in the log and not all data all extracted from the source.

Warning message in the log relates to entries in ALL_SDO_GEOM_METADATA which are all set correctly – I would mention once more that data reading from Oracle using same workbench in 2021.2.5. is working.

Here is the warning message:

Execution of statement

`SELECT table_name, column_name, (SELECT COUNT(*) from TABLE(META.diminfo)) dcount, SRID FROM ALL_SDO_GEOM_METADATA META WHERE ALL_SDO_GEOM_METADATA.owner = '<SOURCE_SCHEMA>''

did not succeed; error was `ORA-00904: "ALL_SDO_GEOM_METADATA"."<OWNER>": invalid identifier'. (serverType=`ORACLE8i', serverName=`SERVER_NAME', userName=`<FME_READER>', password=`***', dbname=`')

If I try to execute this query directly on Oracle, I get the same error message as visible in the log, but this is expected as the alias for the table ALL_SDO_GEOM_METADATA is set to META. So query which FeatureReader tries to execute is not correct and should look like following:

SELECT table_name, column_name, (SELECT COUNT(*) from TABLE(META.diminfo)) dcount, SRID FROM ALL_SDO_GEOM_METADATA META WHERE META.owner = '<SOURCE_SCHEMA>'

Does someone else had similar problem or knows of any workaround?

7 replies

Badge +6

@ostoja​ Hi there, thanks for your question. Is your spatial data stored in an Oracle 11g database by any chance? This could be related to a known issue, but it's specific to Oracle 11g databases.

Badge +1

@ostoja​ Hi there, thanks for your question. Is your spatial data stored in an Oracle 11g database by any chance? This could be related to a known issue, but it's specific to Oracle 11g databases.

Hi @natalieatsafe​, no, my database is  Oracle Database 19c Enterprise Edition Release 19.0.0.0.0.

Badge +6

@ostoja​  I've had a look through some internal resources, and I do think that this issue you're seeing is very related to a reported issue with some Oracle databases and the Oracle Spatial Object format. I've linked this question thread to the internal ticket tracking the issue, and we will provide an update to this thread once a solution is made available.

Could you please confirm the version and build number of the FME 2022.2 that you are currently testing?

Badge +1

@ostoja​  I've had a look through some internal resources, and I do think that this issue you're seeing is very related to a reported issue with some Oracle databases and the Oracle Spatial Object format. I've linked this question thread to the internal ticket tracking the issue, and we will provide an update to this thread once a solution is made available.

Could you please confirm the version and build number of the FME 2022.2 that you are currently testing?

@natalieatsafe​ I am currently working with FME 2022.2.1.0 (build 22776).

Badge +6

@ostoja​ Thank you for providing your FME version and build. I've noted it on the ticket, and I'll update this question thread as the issue is investigated. Sorry I don't have better news here!

Badge +1

@natalieatsafe​ I tested same database using lates version FME 2022.2.2.0 (Build 22782) and I do not see error message which I described.

For the moment, behaviour is same as on FME 2021.2.5.

Badge +6

@ostoja​ Oh that's good news, I'm glad you are able to get the reader working as expected in the latest FME release. And thank you for providing the update here! I'll let our development team know that the error doesn't show in build 22782, mirroring the expected behavior seen in FME 2021.2.5. This could help a few of our other users experiencing a similar issue with Oracle 11g databases! Much appreciated!