Question

Extract DWG properties into FME (the equivalent of DWGPROPS in AutoCAD)

• 12 December 2022
  • 3 replies

I'm trying to extract DWG properties into FME, the equivalent of the DWGPROPS command in AutoCAD. I have added an example screenshot below. The aim is to use this information wthin a workbench on FME Server.

I couldn't identify anything in the AutoCAD reader that shows these properties. Does anyone have any solutions that would expose these DWG properties in FME? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +15

hi @tbarker1986​ thanks for your question! I think you should be able to expose some of those properties by setting the parameters in the DWG reader by grouping entities by layer name, and checking 'Read Drawing System Variables'. After running your reader with feature caching on, these should be found in the feature information window of Layer 0.

You will find things like autocad_projectname and other properties there. To use these as attributes, you can expose them with the AttributeExposer. Hope this helps.

hi @tbarker1986​ thanks for your question! I think you should be able to expose some of those properties by setting the parameters in the DWG reader by grouping entities by layer name, and checking 'Read Drawing System Variables'. After running your reader with feature caching on, these should be found in the feature information window of Layer 0.

You will find things like autocad_projectname and other properties there. To use these as attributes, you can expose them with the AttributeExposer. Hope this helps.

Hi Evie, thank you for your reply. I have tried reading with the settings you suggest applied, however the autocad_projectname is blank. The actual variables I need are Title, Subject, Author, Keywords and Comments. A search within an attributeexposer don't show any attributes with the name of these variables in.

Userlevel 1
Badge +15

Hi Evie, thank you for your reply. I have tried reading with the settings you suggest applied, however the autocad_projectname is blank. The actual variables I need are Title, Subject, Author, Keywords and Comments. A search within an attributeexposer don't show any attributes with the name of these variables in.

hmm well it was worth checking, I'm not sure FME can read those in as features then at the moment. I would submit an Idea to get this supported in the future! Sorry for the inconvenience 😔