Solved

extract geometry from autocad block AFTER READING WITH NO EXPLODE

• 12 October 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +10

I have a specific use case wher i need to read many dwg files. an dget several feature types from a specific layout (paperspace). 1 of the featuretypes i need to extract is autocad_insert. If i explode blocks on the reader I lose ALL layout information. specifically i need a closed polyline that is within the block.

The insert point of the block is what i am going to have to use to place that polygon. so i will have to calculate the center of the polygon and use that to place it at the insert point of the block. I would be suprised if fme is not capable of deconstructing the block into it's components. i just hope it is a a logicial model. The block I am trying to gain access to is very simple. Just a polyline. nothing else.

icon

Best answer by daveatsafe 19 October 2022, 23:47

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @Brad Nesom​,

There is an option in the FME reader to explode only selected blocks. You can also choose to have the insert point of an exploded block placed as well. This point will have the same block name and number as the exploded components. Perhaps you can use these two settings to make your block manipulations easier.

Badge +10

Hi @Brad Nesom​,

There is an option in the FME reader to explode only selected blocks. You can also choose to have the insert point of an exploded block placed as well. This point will have the same block name and number as the exploded components. Perhaps you can use these two settings to make your block manipulations easier.

thanks @daveatsafe​ 

if you don't mind would you take a look at that. I tried it and selected only the block i was interested in but everything got exploded anyway. I am not sure what i was seeing. but i did try the explode selected block again and it does only explode that one block. thanks!