Solved

Do we have an idea on which formats support mesh vertex colors?

• 2 September 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +26

Hi Safe team,

Do we have an idea on which formats support mesh vertex colors?

I can't see Information in the quick facts area for formats (e.g., OBJ) about vertex color support.

It seems like it's becoming more an more common to see mesh objects with vertex colors instead of a texture. I'm just wondering what formats FME can read and write to where vertex colors are supported. So far form testing I can see OBJ supports reading them?

A follow up question, is there anyway to convert these to regular appearances or a texture atlas for formats where the vertex colors aren't supported?

Perhaps @daveatsafe​  has an idea?

icon

Best answer by daveatsafe 2 September 2022, 21:53

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @virtualcitymatt​,

Currently, vertex colors are supported in the FME Mesh geometry, and in the OBJ reader and writer. We have outstanding enhancement requests to add vertex color support to other formats like FBX, DWG, 12D and Unreal, but these are not yet being worked on.

Userlevel 5
Badge +26

Hi @virtualcitymatt​,

Currently, vertex colors are supported in the FME Mesh geometry, and in the OBJ reader and writer. We have outstanding enhancement requests to add vertex color support to other formats like FBX, DWG, 12D and Unreal, but these are not yet being worked on.

Great thanks for the info @daveatsafe​  - can you add GLTF to the list ;-)

Also, any way this can be added this to the "quick facts" somehow?