Question

dgn readers fail to read features correctly

• 16 August 2022
  • 7 replies

hi fellas,

I'm trying to translate a dgn file, but it fails to load correctly. when i open the file with Bentley Microstation Connect edition I can see the design, but when i try to open it with fme data inspector it fails to load the design (it loads all the features but they are not shown graphically).

attached are pictures to illustrate what I get when trying to open the design with Bentley Connect, and with FME Data Inspector (using v7, v8 and xfm v8 readers).

can you help me with the issue?

best regards,

Sharbel

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

You probably have geometry on coordinates near zero and geometry on correct coordinates. Therefore the extent is very large which is causing being too far zoomed out to see anything.

These are probably specific items you can filter out by level name, or use a polygon with the area of interest an a SpatialFilter to filter out the geometries near zero.

You probably have geometry on coordinates near zero and geometry on correct coordinates. Therefore the extent is very large which is causing being too far zoomed out to see anything.

These are probably specific items you can filter out by level name, or use a polygon with the area of interest an a SpatialFilter to filter out the geometries near zero.

no that's not the case, I've checked the output in every possible way, zooming in and zooming out trying to select features, nothing shows and nothing can be selected.. thanx

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

no that's not the case, I've checked the output in every possible way, zooming in and zooming out trying to select features, nothing shows and nothing can be selected.. thanx

What happens if you select a row and click "Zoom Selected"?

well nothing, I get an empty screen and nothing to select in it.

it's really odd because the readers usually read .dgn files without any problems, it's not my first design to translate, but it's the first time I get such a result.

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

Maybe a cache problem? Does a restart of fme or your system help? Pass only one feature using a Sampler and see when it starts working? What version FME do you run?

i use latest version, FME Desktop 2022, cache is not the problem, restarted the workbench, and the computer, sadly i get the same result

Badge +10

Hi @sharbel​ ,

Are you able to share your sample file so we can review the file and see what might be happening?

Thanks,

Andrea