Question

Read 'Element Information' from a DGN V8 file

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi Community,

How can I read / expose the element information from a DGN file? Need to be able to read General > Description as the following screenshot shows:

imageI have already played around with the Reader DGN parameters (e.g. read tag attributes, Read XAttributes, etc) with no success.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank

12 replies

Badge +11

Hello. Maybe this will help you.

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

I would try exposing the format attributes on the reader. I believe the information you are looking for will be contained in one of the attributes beginning with igds_.image

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hello. Maybe this will help you.

Thanks @muzhnasto​  for your answer but already tried that and unfortunately the 'Element Information' isn't still readable.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

I would try exposing the format attributes on the reader. I believe the information you are looking for will be contained in one of the attributes beginning with igds_.image

Hi @dustin​ thanks for your answer but I have also exposed all the attributes with igds_ but non of them exposes the 'Element Information'. I think that information can't be accessible from FME.

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

Thanks @muzhnasto​  for your answer but already tried that and unfortunately the 'Element Information' isn't still readable.

Maybe you do not see the fields you expect because you are looking at the Attribute Table?

In the Visual Inspection or Data Inspector, select a feature and look in the Feature Information window, do you see the attribute you need now?

These are unexposed attributes. You can expose these using an AttributeExposer. Put it downstream the (Feature) Reader output and enter the name of the attribute you need. Or copy paste from the Feature Information window.

If this is not it, please upload a sample file and tell me the exact value you are looking for, because I'm not sure from your screenshot and I have no Microstation software and experience.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ . I have attached a dummy DGN file with some 'Element Information'. I would like to extract is General > Description, see below:

Dummy file attached.

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

You need the attribute igds_element_type for this, combined with the table you can find in the documentation where you can find 4 means Line string.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ ...Line String is just a text example of the Description in the dummy file. I need to extract the General >Description text from the Element Information. After reviewing all the igds_ attributes but can't see something like igds_general_description.

Badge +11

Hi @galigis​ I'm sorry, but I don't understand what data can't be seen in fme

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi @galigis​ I'm sorry, but I don't understand what data can't be seen in fme

Thanks @muzhnasto​ , that's great! I'll get the description by exposing igds_type then I need to relate the value igds_line with the documentation here. According to the table, the igds_element_type should be related to number 12, Complex string to extract Line string as text? Which workaround should I follow to relate igds_element_type and igds_type to extract the complex string as text (e.g. Description: Line String)? If there's any :)

Many thanks,

Badge +11

Hi @galigis​ Attribute Manager to help you)

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi @galigis​ Attribute Manager to help you)