Question

AutoCAD leader lines do not come through or move with RealDWG Writer output.

• 25 February 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

In a Workspace of acad2acad, some leader lines and arrows do not come through or move. RealDWG Reader and Writer solves a few scaling problems with blocks, but there remains a few leaders that don't make it or move:

Before

CAD_LeaderIssue1 After

CAD_LeaderIssue2 It's not clear if the orphan leader on the left has anything to do with the annotation (different geometry and entity handle). autocad_arrow_head_on is TRUE for all. If it is something in the original CAD file, I have yet to find it. Not all leaders and arrowheads disappear.

The leaders stay until it hits the Writer:

CAD_LeaderIssue3Also, I am using a template that is set to the source file in order to get the paperspace titleblock. That is the only way I can get that specific paperspace info into the file (is there a better way?). If Preserve Model Space Data is set to yes, I get the leaders, but also objects that I was trying to change as well as the mystery "mirrored" orphan leader. To be clear, this occurs in multiple different drawings.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @lorenrouth​ , are you "round tripping" (as in reading and writing the same format with little or no transformations)? Or are you performing changes with transformers before writing? Also, sorry, what version of FME is this? Best, Kailin.

Badge +1

Hi Kailin,

Yes, this is basically a round trip except for modifying one layer. I am trying to switch out the language in an mtext entity, or add it if doesn't exist. I am using FME(R) 2021.2.2.0 (20220106 - Build 21806 - WIN64).

I just did a "pure" round trip(just a RealDwg reader and writer) using the example dwg and it gave me the exact same result as in the "after" screenshot above. Everything else seems correct.

My hunch is that for some reason the way those leaders are created causes it to not translate properly, but I can't figure out what is wrong with them. The only thing I can think of is that it needs to be associated with the text. Here is a screen shot of the info for the leader in question:

CAD_LeaderIssue4I will try and see if it makes a difference to re-associate.

Thanks,

Loren

Badge +1

Hi Kailin,

Yes, this is basically a round trip except for modifying one layer. I am trying to switch out the language in an mtext entity, or add it if doesn't exist. I am using FME(R) 2021.2.2.0 (20220106 - Build 21806 - WIN64).

I just did a "pure" round trip(just a RealDwg reader and writer) using the example dwg and it gave me the exact same result as in the "after" screenshot above. Everything else seems correct.

My hunch is that for some reason the way those leaders are created causes it to not translate properly, but I can't figure out what is wrong with them. The only thing I can think of is that it needs to be associated with the text. Here is a screen shot of the info for the leader in question:

CAD_LeaderIssue4I will try and see if it makes a difference to re-associate.

Thanks,

Loren

The plot thickens...

It didn't seem to matter whether the leaders were associated. Here is a before and after with two types of leaders. Again this is with the pure round trip. The top white one is associated and the bottom white is not:

CAD_LeaderIssue5 CAD_LeaderIssue6 What happened?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

The plot thickens...

It didn't seem to matter whether the leaders were associated. Here is a before and after with two types of leaders. Again this is with the pure round trip. The top white one is associated and the bottom white is not:

Hello @lorenrouth​ would you be able to share a sample file with me? Best, Kailin.

Badge +1

The plot thickens...

Hi Kailin,

Here is a chunk of the dwg file, as I can't share the entire floor plan. Nonetheless, it still has the same behavior. I will also upload my result and the Workspace next.

Badge +1

The plot thickens...

Result of round trip:

Badge +1

The plot thickens...

Workspace. Not much to see, but still...

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

This issue has been filed as FMEENGINE-72542. Best, Kailin.