Solved

How can I setup my FME workbench, so Microstation CE knows the coordinate system?

• 21 February 2022
  • 5 replies

The data conversion from the oracle database to dgn works fine. I see in Microstation that the coordinates are identical with the counterparts in the Oracle database. However, Microstation doesn't seem to know that it has a coordinate system. It says <coordinate system not set>.

In processes 'downstream' requires that the dgn files have a coordinate system for further usage. This is now a manual step, that we want to avoid. Is someone familiair with this and knows how we can setup FME to write the coordinate information?

No coordinate sytempreffered situation

icon

Best answer by andreaatsafe 23 February 2022, 20:05

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Basically every writer has a coordinate system parameter, which will identify on the output file what the coordinate system is.imageIt default to same as source, which normally works, except in your case the Oracle db doesn't know what the coordinate system is.

Alternatively there is the CoordinateSystemSetter transformer, which just tells the data what its coordinate system is, then the writer will use that.

Basically every writer has a coordinate system parameter, which will identify on the output file what the coordinate system is.imageIt default to same as source, which normally works, except in your case the Oracle db doesn't know what the coordinate system is.

Alternatively there is the CoordinateSystemSetter transformer, which just tells the data what its coordinate system is, then the writer will use that.

@ctredinnick​ Thank you for your answer. It is however not the solution. I already used the setting in the writer to insert the coordinate system on the dgn file. The CoordinateSystemSetter did I test, but the results are the same, resulting in Microstation not showing the Coordinate System.

I also did a test run with a reprojector, which transform the data from the Dutch Coordinate System (EPSG:28992) to WGS84 (4326). The resulting file has different coordinates, so the reprojector works. However Microstation still doesn’t figure out which Coordinate System it should have.

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

@ctredinnick​ Thank you for your answer. It is however not the solution. I already used the setting in the writer to insert the coordinate system on the dgn file. The CoordinateSystemSetter did I test, but the results are the same, resulting in Microstation not showing the Coordinate System.

I also did a test run with a reprojector, which transform the data from the Dutch Coordinate System (EPSG:28992) to WGS84 (4326). The resulting file has different coordinates, so the reprojector works. However Microstation still doesn’t figure out which Coordinate System it should have.

I'm unfamiliar with Microstation specifically sorry.

A quick way you can test whether a file has a coordinate system is to open it back up in the Data Inspector, and in the lower right corner the coordinate system and units will be there. Does it look any different when you read in a file where you have manually set its coordinate system in Microstation? When you manually set the coordinate system, does it save it to the dgn file or the microstation Project/Workspace? I think it could be a limitation of the dgn format, that you need to tell it what its coordinate system is when you open the file.

Badge +10

Hi @tlonnee​ ,

Unfortunately, this is currently not possible to write out the coordinate system to the DGN file. This is a known limitation with the current Microstation writer. We do have an outstanding enhancement request to add coordinate system support to our Microstation reader/writer (internal reference: FMEENGINE-9051).

I've added this question to the request and we'll be sure to update this post when this has been addressed.

Regards,

Andrea

Hello @andreaatsafe​ ,

Thanks for this answer. I am looking forward to that feature for the Microstation writer, hopefully in the near future.

@ctredinnick​ , thanks for your quick reactions, but we were looking for a solution, that no exists yet.

Please update this post, when the enhancement is made to the Microstation writer

Regards,

Tom