Question

Overwriting featurres File Geodatabes and locks

• 24 November 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi everyone,

I have a workbench that downloads a extent from a bigger database by Esri (by using a Esri feature server reader) and writes it to a file Geodatabase that we host on a server.

Our arcGIS users use a layerfile in ArcGIS pro that uses the file GDB as source.

I use windows task scheduler to run a batch script that starts the FME workbench every month (at mightnight, when no users are logged in).

For some reason the file geodb still has locks active during that time, which cause the overwrite database function in the FME writer to fail.

Is there a way to update the file GDB while the locks are active, or a other way this problem can be solved?

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

Not sure I understand the layerfile part, but if you truncate the table (delete all records from table before inserting new records) instead of replacing the entire geodatabase you are probably fine. Have had success with updating gdb's with mapservices on them this way.

Truncate ExistingThe alternative is finding out who or what is keeping the gdb locked and try to remove that lock with a script I think, but have not done that before.