Question

FME Sharepoint List Reader issue - returns error 401 when clicking on "Lists"

• 24 November 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hi,

I have been investigating this for some time, but did not find any solution so far:

In order to read sharepoint lists from a predefined sharepoint site, I used the web connection "Microsoft SharePoint Online (Template)". As testing / reauthentication was successful, I felt ready to read a list from this specific sharepoint page so I inserted its URL and indicated my web connection.

However, when I click on "Lists" to retrieve the lists I created, I get an error message (see attached).

The error in the log furthermore shows:

"Failed to obtain any schemas from reader 'SHAREPOINT' from 1 datasets. This may be due to invalid datasets or format accessibility issues due to licensing, dependencies, or module loading. See logfile for more information"

I am using FME 2020.2.

Do you know what I am missing here?

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @fungergis​ , did you follow the instructions for How to Create a Sharepoint Web Connection? To clarify, did you happen create a NEW Web Service using the template as shown in this screenshot from that article?

SharePointConnection

Badge

Hi Kailin,

thanks for your message!

Yep, I created that web connection just as per your screenshot and described in the link you provided. Our admin also helped us to setup the registered app on the azure portal.

Furthermore, we are using the "Microsoft SharePoint Online (safe.microsoft-sharepoint)" web connection needed in order to connect via the Sharepoint Online Connector and this works just fine and when testing or reauthenticating via FME Options, my copy of the "Microsoft SharePoint Online (Template)" web connection also works fine.

I am a little bit out of ideas here.

Badge +7

Hi Kailin,

thanks for your message!

Yep, I created that web connection just as per your screenshot and described in the link you provided. Our admin also helped us to setup the registered app on the azure portal.

Furthermore, we are using the "Microsoft SharePoint Online (safe.microsoft-sharepoint)" web connection needed in order to connect via the Sharepoint Online Connector and this works just fine and when testing or reauthenticating via FME Options, my copy of the "Microsoft SharePoint Online (Template)" web connection also works fine.

I am a little bit out of ideas here.

Hi,

Sorry I'm so late to the party, but I just found your message while researching a similar issue. I'm about to email support@safe.com to investigate.

I noticed a couple of things: firstly, the SharePoint List reader/writer in my copy of FME 2022 doesn't actually work - this may be because it's a beta. It works fine in 2020.2.2. So it may help if you try a different build.

Secondly, the config that you create yourself from Microsoft SharePoint Online (Template) using these instructions appears to be a bit different from the one that you edit from safe.microsoft-sharepoint for the SharePointOnlineConnector from these instructions. I have no idea why, but you can see the difference in the authorization parameters URL:

You can safely change the first one to prompt=select_account, but that still means the following difference:

I don't pretend to understand this, but it looks as though they're requesting different permissions.

I hope this helps... I'll ask Safe to check for comments here as part of the request.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hi,

Sorry I'm so late to the party, but I just found your message while researching a similar issue. I'm about to email support@safe.com to investigate.

I noticed a couple of things: firstly, the SharePoint List reader/writer in my copy of FME 2022 doesn't actually work - this may be because it's a beta. It works fine in 2020.2.2. So it may help if you try a different build.

Secondly, the config that you create yourself from Microsoft SharePoint Online (Template) using these instructions appears to be a bit different from the one that you edit from safe.microsoft-sharepoint for the SharePointOnlineConnector from these instructions. I have no idea why, but you can see the difference in the authorization parameters URL:

You can safely change the first one to prompt=select_account, but that still means the following difference:

I don't pretend to understand this, but it looks as though they're requesting different permissions.

I hope this helps... I'll ask Safe to check for comments here as part of the request.

Hello @roland.martin​ , would you please submit a support case with us? This way we can help take a closer look. I'm sorry you encountered this issue!

Best, Kailin Opaleychuk.

Badge +7

Hi,

@kailinatsafe​ thanks. This was already logged shortly after my previous message - C675867.

Badge +4

I have the same problem as fungergis​. Did this ever got resolved? Sharepointonlineconnector works fine but using FME Sharepoint List Reader I just get the 401 client error and the error message is just a ''.

@kailinatsafe​ 

@fungergis​ 

@roland.martin​ 

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

I have the same problem as fungergis​. Did this ever got resolved? Sharepointonlineconnector works fine but using FME Sharepoint List Reader I just get the 401 client error and the error message is just a ''.

@kailinatsafe​ 

@fungergis​ 

@roland.martin​ 

Hello @krisvesweco​, thanks for posting. For the SharePoint List R/W and the SharePointOnlineConnector, they actually use two different APIs so there are differences in how those two web connections are set up (as well as the permissions) so that changes the way Microsoft authenticates the user. I think you'd need two different app registrations, with two sets of permissions, then different web services, and thus connections in FME. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll try my best to help out. Happy to help, Kailin.

Hi @krisvesweco​ ,

I'm not sure if you have already fixed your problems, but I'll reply anyway for other people coming here.

Below is a screenshot of the guide that @kailinatsafe​ suggests.

This screenshot might suggest that you should enter https://safesoftware.sharepoint.com in the URL. This is not the case. You should enter your own tenantname in front of .sharepoint.com

This fixed my issues with 401 error for the Sharepoint List Reader