Question

Excel Writer: Failed to refresh Pivot Tables and recalculate formulas.

• 18 November 2021
  • 9 replies

We recently downloaded the 2021.1 version of FME. All previous scripts run on 2020.1 without problems. Now however, I get a warning message "Excel Writer: Failed to refresh Pivot Tables and recalculate formulas. Note this is only possible on Windows with Excel installed" when exporting to an excel with the use of a template. I write my data in 1 tab, and that tab is used to make a pivot table in another tab. Because of this warning, the excels in my dataflow I have stay open and after 20-ish files the memory in my task manager is full, so the translation fails. We did not change the version of Excel, that should not be the problem.

Anyone an idea what could be the problem?

9 replies

Badge

Hi @ega​ this sounds like it could be a bug. I have escalated your post to a case. Hopefully, we can find a solution to his soon. I will contact you through the case.

Badge +15

Hi @ega​ this sounds like it could be a bug. I have escalated your post to a case. Hopefully, we can find a solution to his soon. I will contact you through the case.

Hi @daraghatsafe​, I've just run into this same issue in FME 2022.0 (b22339). Has it been confirmed it is a bug? Do you maybe have any updates?

Hi, This is still an issue in 2022.2.1

Hi, I had this issue and for me a workaround was to deselect the option to 'refresh data when opening the file' in the Excel file I use as a template (using FME 2021.2.5.0).

Hi, I had this issue and for me a workaround was to deselect the option to 'refresh data when opening the file' in the Excel file I use as a template (using FME 2021.2.5.0).

Hi jooms, did it also work on FME Server while testing it or locally on your device? Thanks

Hi jooms, did it also work on FME Server while testing it or locally on your device? Thanks

I don't use FME Server so I haven't tested this. Only with FME Desktop.

Locally it does work with the option enabled and disabled. However, it is not working on FME Server yet. 'Unable to recalculate formulas and refresh pivot tables for Excel file 'Failed to open workbook. Ensure this is a valid Excel file'. @jooms​ 

If I find a solution, I'll update the post

I am encountering this same issue with FME Flow 2023.0.2.1Build 23339 - win64, can we have someone from Safe confirm if this is still an issue?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @bradpainter,

It looks like our team resolved this issue in 2023.2 and higher! 

If you are able to update, you should see that fix and have no further issues!