Question

My connection file works, but not if it's a parameter. I believe this should work, but it doesn't. It looks like a bug in FME. Is there a way to fix this?

• 7 November 2020
  • 6 replies

I am using several FeatureReaders (ArcSDE) and they have a connection file that I paste in. I want this to be a parameter so that I do not have to update several readers when I want to change the connection file. When I create the parameter and try to run it then I get an error that says "Too many recursive macro substitutions". What is the best way to fix this? Thanks.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

What kind of parameter do you use? Did you configure the FeatureReader first, then replaced the connectionfile with a parameter? This is what I do and it works, using a scripted python parameter. But you have to configure it first, run to check, then replace values with parameters.

What kind of parameter do you use? Did you configure the FeatureReader first, then replaced the connectionfile with a parameter? This is what I do and it works, using a scripted python parameter. But you have to configure it first, run to check, then replace values with parameters.

I use a text parameter. The reader works if I do not use a parameter. I configured it first, then tried to replace the value with a parameter.

I have good news. I think I got it to work. When creating the parameter, I add the letter "a" at the end of the name of the parameter and the letter "b" at the end of the prompt. Now it works. I don't know why this works, but I'm just happy that it does.

I am now going to update the dozen other reader with these new parameters and see if I come across any issues.

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

I've had this same issue , off the top of my head I believe I got around it by creating the parameter in the transformer.

Screenshot 2020-11-09 081151

I've tried that and it doesn't work. I had to add the extra "a" and "b" in the parameter definition to get it to work. Then I removed the "a" and the "b" and it failed again.screenshot

Badge

It seems like a combination of these tricks is what it took for me. Renaming the parameter didn't work, so I tried creating a new parameter from within the transformer. That also failed, but then when I pointed the reader back to the old renamed parameter, voila!

I have two FeatureReaders in the workspace that used the same parameter and they each needed the above-described fix applied separately.

Like the two comments with screenshots, I'm also reading an ArcSDE db.

Is this fixed in 2021/a known bug?