Question

The IFC reader does not support 'IfcSweptDiskSolid'..??

• 2 September 2020
  • 3 replies

Greetings,

One of the sales pitches for FME is that it handles IFC well. Safe also recommends IFC as the transport format from Revit to FME.

Imagine my surprise when I get the following message when trying to parse a file containing IFC rebar elements:

"The IFC reader does not support the following type: 'IfcSweptDiskSolid'. All instances of this type will be skipped"

So, in other words FME has poorer support for IFC than many open source converters? Is this correct or is there any way to augment or rectify this situation?

If so FME will remain a viable tool for us, otherwise we'll have to move elsewhere.

Thanks in advance!

3 replies

Badge

Hi @dantikab​ 

Thank you for your post. We currently have existing enhancement requests for support of IfcSweptDiskSolid, I cannot say for sure when this will be implemented but it is planned for future releases of FME. These are the codes for reference FMEENGINE-29963 and FMEENGINE-62136.

We recommend users to post suggestions of features that they would like to be implemented in FME to the Ideas page on the Community. Even if the feature is planned it can be great to see how many users would like to see the feature added, this can help with getting the feature pushed into development.

I know this is not the response that you wanted to hear but hopefully support will be added soon and you will continue to use FME.

Thanks, Daragh

Badge +21

I have encountered the same issue. Please add me to these references so I can get a notification when it is released. I can also supply some test-data if you need? @daraghatsafe​ 

Badge +6

Hi @dantikab​ @Sigbjørn Herstad​ 

Thanks for your query about IfcSweptDiskSolids. As promised, we recently added support for a reading a number of IFC swept solid types in our latest FME 2021.0 beta. Download build 21293 or newer from: https://www.safe.com/support/downloads/#beta

If you still have trouble please send us a sample dataset for us to test - thanks.