Question

Merge duplicate appearances

• 19 March 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hello,

From a colleague I received an export from Navisworks in fbx (originally created in Inventor). The model consists out of many objects, which I would like treat separately.

Therefore I added an identifier to the attribute table. After finishing the workbench in FME for an individual object, I want to create an iterative process to perform an analysis for all objects (by using a loop-transformer).

The geometry of an object can be de-aggregated to parts. Of each part, the appearance can be extracted. However, the table contains duplicate values of material. I wish to merge rows with the same value of the field "fme_style_appearance_name".

Simultaneously (this may be a misunderstanding from my side), geometry with corresponding part numbers must be merged as well.

How can this be realised? It is possible to identify duplicate values by using the matcher-transformer, but unfortunately I don't know how to continue the process.

Kind regards,

Pim van der Zwaag.

FME versie 2018.1.1.2 (20190121), build 18586 (64 bit)

(the fbx-file can be provided..)

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @pzwaag,

I am a little unclear on what you want to output. Is it a list of appearance names, or do you want to join parts with same appearance into a larger object?

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

Duplicate values can be found using the DuplicateFilter transformer. Use the Unique output port to get the unique values.

Badge

Hi @pzwaag,

I am a little unclear on what you want to output. Is it a list of appearance names, or do you want to join parts with same appearance into a larger object?

Hello Dave,

Thank you for your reply. I might have been unclear, sorry for that. I am not familiar with these types of data.

What I would like to achieve is the second option you mentioned in your reply.

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,

Pim van der Zwaag.
Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @pzwaag,

I'm sorry about the delay in responding. I think we can do this, but it would very helpful to have the FBX file to do some testing first. Please send me a download link: .

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @pzwaag,

The attached workspace will break up the existing model in the FBX file, then rejoin the parts by common appearances.

mergebyappearance.fmw