Question

DWG solid model to IFC

• 7 November 2017
  • 3 replies

I am new to FME. We want to use it at our office to convert dwg building models with ACIS solids to IFC models (and the other way around). In the process we want to map every DWG layer to an IFC object type (ex: objects in DWG layer A-42------ are converted to IFC walls).

I started trying to convert one of our building models, but the IFC output is only 1,5 kB and contains no geometry.

Now I am trying to convert a test file containing only two solid boxes, with the same result, and I can see in the log that the objects fail when the IFC file is written.

I have tried to convert the same model to Collada format with success, so there is nothing wrong with the reader side, but something goes wrong (or I have not understood some needed setting) when the IFC writer are doing it's job.

My conversion log is attached.

Hope someone can point me in the same direction!

Cheers, Mikael

3 replies

Edit: Attached is the simple dwg file I tried to convert.

drawing1.dwg

Badge +7

Hi @zkeng,

Unfortunately, writing to IFC is not that straightforward. IFC has a semantic data model: it's not just a bunch of shapes, but everything is related to each other. This makes it one of the most complex formats to write, as you need to tell FME how these relationships should be established. Have a look at this tutorial. Scroll to the bottom for an example of a CAD->IFC conversion.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @zkeng,

Unfortunately, writing to IFC is not that straightforward. IFC has a semantic data model: it's not just a bunch of shapes, but everything is related to each other. This makes it one of the most complex formats to write, as you need to tell FME how these relationships should be established. Have a look at this tutorial. Scroll to the bottom for an example of a CAD->IFC conversion.

Thanks @sander. The directly link to the CAD->IFC conversion article is https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/595/autocad-to-ifc-conversion-example.html